OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lesser known call makers

Started by KYHeadhunter02, March 09, 2018, 12:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 09, 2018, 12:15:04 PM
Paul Hicks aka Daddy Rat on here. His pots are fantastic. He sent me a sound file of one of his pots and a pot from a award winning pot call maker. They were the same wood, sound board and surface and asked me which one sounded better. I did not know which one was his and I told him hands down the 2nd one. Well the 2nd one was his pot. Give Paul a shout and get one of his pots.
Didn't know daddy rat made calls

Thank you to the OP for the thread I really like this topic because often the same 4 or 5 names get thrown around and while they make amazing stuff there are soooo many guys building awesome sounding stuff it's hard to even know about them all. Going to flag this thread for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WV Ridge Reaper

Pot calls...houndstooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 09, 2018, 03:16:00 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 09, 2018, 02:45:33 PM
It may be uncouth of me, but I'm going to throw my own name into the ring. Not just for one type of call either. I am trying to make the best calls that I am able to in trumpets, pots, box calls, scratch boxes, pocket slates and specialty calls. I get bored easily, so I make a lot of different calls. Their have been a couple of guys who have supported me lately and it has helped a lot. I appreciate it, thank you!
I will say that I have only got one pot from Chris, a cedar slate over slate and it sounds fantastic. It will definitely get vest time this season.
I have a few from Chris and am very impressed with all of them and don't ever plan on getting rid of any of them. I do plan on thinning my herd some time soon though. Chris  has always been willing to try new things for me and that is what custom really is

Footballer

Paul Hicks aka Daddy Rat on here. His pots are fantastic. He sent me a sound file of one of his pots and a pot from a award winning pot call maker. They were the same wood, sound board and surface and asked me which one sounded better. I did not know which one was his and I told him hands down the 2nd one. Well the 2nd one was his pot. Give Paul a shout and get one of his pots.

X2. The best value out there right now

Chris O

Quote from: Footballer on March 09, 2018, 10:52:00 PM

X2. The best value out there right now
I agree Daddy Rat makes great pot calls and a great guy to deal with

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 09, 2018, 09:00:29 PM
Didn't know daddy rat made calls

Thank you to the OP for the thread I really like this topic because often the same 4 or 5 names get thrown around and while they make amazing stuff there are soooo many guys building awesome sounding stuff it's hard to even know about them all. Going to flag this thread for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Very Welcome! I think it's easy to get caught up in high end calls, and I do it myself. There's tons of smaller and less known guys that turn out awesome calls that do not get enough recognition. Apparently some great deals on calls also. Feel free to share pics guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mossberg835

Any pics of Paul Durham calls?

Jbird22

Don't know but seems like you have to have a list to be interesting these days. There are a lot of callmakers out there who make good calls, even those who actually have calls available for sale..lol

RemCrystal

Paul Durham and Scott veitings Bearded Hen Calls  are underrated and very good call makers.

sixbird

Quote from: RemCrystal on March 10, 2018, 08:41:45 PM
Paul Durham and Scott veitings Bearded Hen Calls  are underrated and very good call makers.

I have two coppers from Scott and a titanium that are great calls...

Chris O

For anyone that doesn't have a Gooserbat high standard crystal I would definitely recommend that call

pauld

I'm truly humbled beyond words as I've read this. Thank you all that have mentioned me. My PM's were blowing up this weekend and I just got told about this thread. Lol. Thanks guys.

southern_leo

When Shannon asked for suggestions for the forum I suggested a new call maker classifieds. I haven't started selling mine yet but plan too soon. Would be neat to have a classified section for newbies.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk