turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Green slate, gray slate, red slate ?

Started by idgobble, March 09, 2018, 01:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

What's the difference and who makes a good green or red slate pot?

BigSlam51

Can't go wrong with a Mark Cornelius green or red. I have one of his green slates, it's a killer.

Cottonmouth

What's the difference in the tone between the 3? I've always used gray but interested in trying the green. I dont like a really high pitch call but wouldn't mind a little higher than the gray in some situations.

Spitten and drummen

The green is going to be considerably higher pitch than the grey. It is very very similar to glass with the playability of slate. Dont seem to be as finicky with humidity as the grey slate either.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 09, 2018, 09:02:30 AM
The green is going to be considerably higher pitch than the grey. It is very very similar to glass with the playability of slate. Dont seem to be as finicky with humidity as the grey slate either.
Wow been turkey hunting around ten years now didn't know there was a Red or Green slate call,I am now interested in how the Red sounds. Don't think I need anymore calls to keep killing turkeys, But hard to think of christmas gifts for family to get me, now I do and there Christmas Colors.

Spitten and drummen

Not sure about the red as I dont have one. Green slate I would recommend Brad Roberts or Dustin Jones
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

chuckward

I really like the higher pitch of green slate. Dustin Jones and Mark Cornelius both make a great call. Dustin's seems like a harder surface if that's possible, but both sound awesome.

idgobble

I should clarify that I don't even know if anyone is making a red slate call.  There is only one source of red slate that I know of and it's a quarry in Hampton, NY, right on the VT border called Hadeka Slate.  I don't know if anyone has ever tried their slate for calling turkeys but if it works I think it would be great to compare the three colors.

aaron

Ronnie clough is making red slate calls

Prohunter3509

Matt McClain makes red I have one
It is sweet

PALongspur

I much prefer the milder tone of grey myself. I just think it sounds more "turkey ".

cphill

I second that Matt McLain I got one of his red slate with a Holly pot sweet call

merriamsman

John Sinclair makes both red and green slate calls. I just got one of his green slates and it is outstanding - it went right into my vest, and I have a bunch of custom calls.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: cphill on March 09, 2018, 02:50:08 PM
I second that Matt McLain I got one of his red slate with a Holly pot sweet call
So how would you compair the sound on a Red slate to any other ones.

1iagobblergetter

I've always liked slate for a pot call surface and have killed a bunch of Turkey's with it. I'm  looking forward in trying out the red and green.