turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic

Started by troutfisher13111, March 08, 2018, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Sell me on a ceramic. What do I gain and lose with a ceramic compared to other surfaces? And who makes the best ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

870BkWht

Ceramic plays like a slate but sounds like a cross between crystal and aluminum to my ear.  Any good ceramic pot is versatile in being loud but also tones down to being soft.  The notes are more crisp and brighter sounding.  The surface is very responsive to the striker tip. Great purrs sharp cuts and if its a good one can kee kee good also.

Daybreak (Gary Anderson) makes the best one but Paul Durham makes an equally stellar ceramic pot. Other good ceramics are Halloran, American Strutter, Andy Kaiser, and Hanks.  I've owned others but those mentioned are the ones i liked the best.

HookedonHooks

Ditto what 870 said

x2 for Paul Durham

And Brad Roberts ceramic I recently got really impressed me.

southern_leo

870 did a great summary. Another main point is its weather proof. I tested all the big names at the convention and can tell you the best two were halloran and Houndstooth. I bought the houndstooth. I did not like hanks, American strutter, or pecker wrecker. I think there was one other company I tried but can't remember. Anyway. I was on a ceramic mission and those were the top two. I did not like the ceramic that the other guys used, it seemed slick. Hanks and American strutter knew it too. American strutter told me "that one has been ran alot but we can open a new one for you" (this was probably 30 mins after convention opened on Friday lol) and Hanks said the same thing. I asked Hanks to condition the call and the striker still didn't grip well. Pecker wrecker was similar. Not sure why. Houndstooth and Halloran both gripped nicely on all the strikers I tried. Ceramic conditioning is not required but a bit of green scotch brite helps for ease of use but shouldn't be required to make a sound.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I have a David Halloran that is hard to beat but I am hoping the Lon Trice I have on the way will be the best.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Hallorans I like the best

TauntoHawk

I liked the houndstooth a little better than the halloran.

I broke the houndstooth at the same time I broke a Schaffer mad hen and my wrist. Set it aside to send for repairs and lost it. Need to buy another

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

troutfisher13111

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 09, 2018, 10:06:04 AM

Can I ask why? I have it narrowed down to these two

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Terry on March 09, 2018, 10:33:30 AM

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 09, 2018, 10:06:04 AM

Can I ask why? I have it narrowed down to these two

It had a bit younger of a hen sound was a fairly clean Yelp with great roll over that was just a touch higher and less raspy then the halloran. Had very excitable clucks

But mostly because it just field proved itself and confidence in a call goes a long way. After I got the call I took it on a hunt and called 4 birds to the gun in 3 days it was almost laughable the amount of calls my buddy and I would throw at a bird that were met with silence or unenthusiastic pitty gobbles that weekend and the ceramic would come out and the bird would fire right up and work in on a line. We joked Lyle put a Staples easy button in there as the sound board.

The halloran I didn't have real long as I gifted it to a friend when the houndstooth was still in working condition.

I took a tumble down some boulders the next season carrying a bird out and pretty much broke every call and striker on the right side of my vest.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jroddc

DrDirtNap

I have a Daybreak Gary Anderson Ceramic and really like it a lot.   Gary provides a conditioning Stone with his call and recommends the conditioning the surface on his call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutfisher13111

So, do you guys condition or not? Especially wondering about the guys who run Halloran since I believe that's who I'm going with

johnski

Overall ceramic seems to be a underrated surface that doesn't get as much love as crystal, aluminum or slate and I don't know why.  The ones I have play real easy and all have a nice clean sharp sound.  Plus as mentioned earlier they play fine when wet or damp.  I have a Yingling in a waterproof pot that is a perfect rainy day call.  All of mine exept a red hen are uncondtioned, I just clean them with a alcoholl pad.

Double B

I really like my Misfire ceramic w wenge or purpleheart striker.  And I can't deny, I do love my Ol Yellers, they have called in quite a few rain or shine.   :happy0064:
Followed by buzzards