OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia hunters ???

Started by nyhunter, March 08, 2018, 05:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

My son and I are planning to hunt Virginia this spring in the south western part of the state. I have 2 questions .   #1 how bad are the ticks
                    #2 is there any poisonous snakes, "copper heads, rattlers" 
Thank you for your help

strutnva

strutnva

Sorry, first answer was not exactly right on the tick part.  They can be really bad.  Generally if you stay in the woods they aren't bad, grass heads and pines are where they seem to be the worst.

2gbl

Ticks can be bad.  I treat my clothes every couple weeks.  We have Rattlers and copper heads but in 35 years I have never seen one.  Where do you plan to hunt?

2gbl

bbcoach

I grew up hunting and fishing Southwest Virginia.  Yes ticks and snakes are somewhat of a problem during early spring.  If the temps warm up (not sure when you will hunt) but the ticks and snakes (copperheads and rattlers) will be out.  Ticks can be taken care of with Permethrin.  Spray down your clothes and let dry.  Snakes in the spring can be a problem.  Cold mornings (32 or below) and warming up to 50-60's, will get them moving into areas that let them sun themselves (warm up).  Watch where you step and setup and snake boots are a plus.  If you stay alert, you should be fine.  Get in shape, those mountains and steep hills will wear on you.  Good Luck and Enjoy the Experience with your son. 

turkeyfoot

My home area what county you hunting? Ticks some years are better than others treat your clothes and worries will be gone. As far as snakes fair amount copperhead they really like the reclaimed areas spring has been when I see most by summer they are mostly nocturnal were still getting frost in early April so the warm gets them active as far as rattlers have only seen them on occasion and its usually rocky outcroppings. When we were young we used to hunt them rattlers turning rocks over with hoe and carrying a feed sack there used be rattlesnake pit over near Breaks Interstate park.

nyhunter

:icon_thumright: thanks for the responce guys. I kinda figured both would be an issue , personal I'd rather deal with the snakes, thos dam ticks are terrible up here in western NY now too, I have been using Swayers for the last 5 years "after getting bit" and havent had any problems since.

bbcoach

Sawyer's is a product that many use for ticks.  Check out this thread  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

You can purchase the 10% permethrin via internet, most garden centers and some pet stores.  Mix 1 oz with 20 oz of water for a .5% solution.  Hang all clothes outside, spray them down good and let dry.  Good for a month or so then repeat.

nyhunter

:icon_thumright: thank you that'll save a lot of money,

M Sharpe

Can't speak for Virginia's hunting season; but, all I know is the public area I hunt here in GA is bombarded by Virginia hunters the first two weeks of the season!!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!