turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy Set-Up

Started by double drops, March 07, 2018, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

double drops

I've never been a big fan of using decoys.  At most, I will use one DSD upright hen.  However, practically all the new tom decoys look so real.  Just curious to see what everyone uses as far as decoys.  Or, do any of you always go without decoys?

guesswho

Always without. 

I take that back.  I did go last year with one of my hunting partners.  We flipped a coin to see who was the shooter and who was camera man.  I lost the coin toss and was designated triggerman.   I'm pretty sure had I won the toss and got the camera, the results would have been the same.  He was wanting a video of me shooting one over a decoy to show some of our other turkey hunting buddy's.  If I did this right you can click the picture and it should take you to a short video. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Used a hen decoy for a few years. The last couple I haven't used any.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

Quote from: double drops on March 07, 2018, 11:34:47 AM
I've never been a big fan of using decoys.  At most, I will use one DSD upright hen.  However, practically all the new tom decoys look so real.  Just curious to see what everyone uses as far as decoys.  Or, do any of you always go without decoys?

I don't always use decoys but when I do it's DSD!!

I have a thread dedicated to this if you click the Link
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

Just remember they are "Just a Tool in the Shed"

They are not for every hunt and are not a 100% deal, there is a lot to learn about using decoys and when not to... And how to hunt them "right".

I have had great success using decoys in the right situation and the right set. And my DSD's are Deadly!!

If I were going to pair a decoy with your Upright Hen and would depend on hour hunt style, If you are a Run & Gun hunter it would be a 3/4 Strut Jake (he is NOT for public) I use on private and still need still need to be aware.

If you only use hen decoys I would add a Feeding Hen to your sets.

If you are looking for a Strutter I would go with the New White Headed version. There is a lot to him and I explain in my other thread. I have been hunting decoys for 28 years and a White Head Gobbler since 1999 and I can tell you the results... Dead Bird

Now not everyone hunts decoys and that is the choice you make, for those of us who do I can attest to their use.

Here is my DSD Strutter I have been using since 2012 and he is awesome!! and the other is a pic of my Feather Flex "Tommy" (Jake) decoy when I first designed/developed the White Headed Gobbler Decoy, I added a fan, beard and the "white" even short staked my hen to a "Breeding" position. The last pic is of a Jake that was killed at less than 15 yards with a White Headed DSD Strutter (at the decoy) during a 2015 Youth Hunt, all birds (dominance game) will come to this decoy when hunted right!

MK M GOBL

zelmo1

Late season I will use a Dirty B and hens. Early season is usually a DSD jake and hen, if we use them. My hens are old feather flex( gasp and blasphemy, LOL ) but they work for us.  :funnyturkey:

High plains drifter

I always Carey a very realistic looking hen decoy.Ive taken to using a 20 guage a-5, with 2 3-4 inch 2 shot, modified choke. I've found that using a high quality decoy does work well.Also, wear good quality camo gear, always wear a face mask, and gloves.Use a slate call.If using a bow, use a PSE.

fallhnt

Quote from: double drops on March 07, 2018, 11:34:47 AM
Jump on the wagon. Plenty of room. I use Deception decoys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mightyjoeyoung

If/when I run dekes, it's;  strutter and 1 or 2  hens in early season, jake and 1 or 2 hens mid and hens only late season.  We have a TON of jakes on the farms I hunt so the jake has been riding in the truck more and more in lue of hens only.  The longbeards can be skiddish around so many jakes.  Seen a mod of blunt legs beat up on big toms more than once.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

silvestris

I never use decoys.  If I did, I would never know whether he died from sign stimulus or sound stimulus.  I can't buy sound stimulus, and sound stimulus requires some knowledge of turkey language and dilgent practice.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MK M GOBL

Quote from: silvestris on March 13, 2018, 05:32:17 PM
I never use decoys.  If I did, I would never know whether he died from sign stimulus or sound stimulus.  I can't buy sound stimulus, and sound stimulus requires some knowledge of turkey language and dilgent practice.

Not to dispute the above statement as when I hunt without the decoys what your saying is very true.

But there is also a knowledge to using decoys you must understand social structure, dominance and how to hunt them "right" when to use or not and how to set, just putting decoys out does not guarantee you a bird, plus you still need to call that bird in to visual range of the decoys for them "to work", and "finish" calling in to shooting range. They are not a magic pill...

MK M GOBL

dutch@fx4

I love seeing big toms coming running into a strutting tom decoy ready to fight.

2500XMAN

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on March 13, 2018, 06:12:37 PM
I love seeing big toms coming running into a strutting tom decoy ready to fight.
Got the end result of this hunt last spring. Would give anythung to had it all on video.

He came running in half strut, passed the hen up walked straight to the jake decoy and preceded to flog the sh** out of my decoy.

Killed him at 8 yards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

deer655

I love seeing a tom come in to run off my avian-x jake. I love hunting turkeys but its like golf in that I dont sweat the small details. I love being out in the woods, calling and placing my decoys where I think they will do the most good.I do practice calling and shooting but its all for fun. I guess if I studied the heck out of the sounds they make  and when they make them and i could mimic them fairly close then I would be be less inclined to use decoys. I had a tom last year come in spitting and popping like I have never heard and proceeded to beat the heck out of the jake decoy. That show was priceless and he was tasty too.