News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Making a first time trip to Alabama

Started by Ramslam44, March 07, 2018, 11:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramslam44

Hey everyone,
New member here..well I have been on here just in the background reading all the posts and thought on becoming a member. Anyways, I am from Ohio and making a trip to one of my buddies woods in Alabama to try and drop me a nice Tom..with that being said, we don't have the wildlife that is down there up here AKA venomous snakes lol. So with that being said, how important is it to be getting myself some snake boots? Right now I use alpha burly rubber boots and didn't know if it is wise to buy me a pair of actual snake boots. Also if it's advised, what would you recommend?  I don't want to be worrying about snakes and lose out on a turkey. Hope you guys and gals from Alabama or nearing states can help me out. Thanks in advance

SSCsnood

Never worn them myself and have been turkey hunting here for 20+ years...That being said, I did step center mast on a 3' copperhead last spring slipping on a bird, luckily he didn't mind much and we went our separate ways. It did make me consider getting some but I still haven't. It is a threat in our woods but I just try and watch my step and surroundings.

dirt road ninja

I wear them, but went years and years without them. Never had one strike at me. In your position, I'd wear what I already owned. Welcome to OG

Bottomland

Depends where im hunting in alabama.  If im in the swamp i will wear them.  If i hunt high ground i wont and just wait my step

Big Jeremy

I wear them, but mainly as a precaution. Of course, you only have to be wearing them that one time for them to be worth it!

You could probably just buy some snake proof gaiters for cheaper and put them over your current boots.

guesswho

Probably not a good idea but I usually wear crocs or tennis shoes.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Good insurance I guess. I live in SC and have hunted and hiked in all the terrains of SC and never wore a pair. Have almost bought them many times but never did. I did buy a pair this offseason that was clearanced out. I figure for the price it was worth a try. I like them pretty good.

It is important to remember they only cover 20% of your body and a big rattle snake can hit over the knee. While they provide protection it does not mean you do not need to pay attention to where you are walking and when you are sitting they do not do much for you.

Snakes do not strike to just strike, they do it for two reasons, to eat and to protect themselves. Be smart and know  what a snake is likely to be in and you will be good to go. Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Quote from: guesswho on March 07, 2018, 03:03:08 PM
Probably not a good idea but I usually wear crocs or tennis shoes.

I've done the crocs on accident before. My feet end up wet and itchy.

Muzzy61

snake boots or chaps are a good idea. Don't forget a Therma Cell.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

KentuckyLB

I dont leave home with out them on, i wear lacrosse and have for 20 years.Invest in a good pair of snake boots, plenty of well made boots out there. As far as them alpha burly rubber boots..leave them at home as this is the south and your feet are gonna be hot as hell walking in them. Note most alpha burly boots I have wore are also bulky and heavy.  Good Luck

LaLongbeard

Turtle skin makes chaps and leggings I have a pair of the knee high leggings they are light weight and not hot like snake boots. I like them beacuse they don't add weight and I can use them over or under my hunting pants and with any boots rubber , leather etc. Like  mentioned nothing would be 100% protection unless you had a whole suit but most bites are below the knee on the foot area or hands so the leggings work pretty well.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 07, 2018, 03:39:54 PM
snake boots or chaps are a good idea. Don't forget a Therma Cell.

This. You can make it without snake boots if you want to. You can NOT make it without a thermacell!

raven105

In general, snake boots are a good idea but you are most vulnerable when setting up on a bird.  Snake boots offer no protection for your backside.  I can't stress this enough to thoroughly inspect your surroundings prior to sitting down.  We all get excited when the bird is hammering away and we sneak in close and post up on a big oak tree.  Situational awareness goes a long way!  Watch your step and be mindful of your set up and you'll be fine.  Good luck!

YELPA

I'm in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Wore them up until 10 years ago or so.  Got sick and tired of them.  They are hot and leak like a torpedoed tanker.  Wear either rubber boots, if need be, but prefer my Meindls.  Snakes and I have a truce: I don't kill them; they don't bite me.

dublelung

South MIssissippi member here and I've never worn snake boots. Watch where you step and where you sit, you'll be fine. Oh that fella who said something about the Thermacell, listen to him. Most snakes down here don't survive the skeeter bites.