turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hen Decoys

Started by Sir-diealot, March 05, 2018, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I have the 2 decoys posted below and 2 of the late 90's foam decoys but would like to get one or two more of the hard rubber collapsible decoys before May 1 when the turkey season starts. I do not used the Jake pictured below much at all because 1 it is hard to set up in the light let alone in the dark and 2 because I am worried about "That other guy" that may mistake it for the real deal.

What I would like to know is would it be better to get a feeding hen or one of the submissive hens? I will be running the hen pictured along with it. Thank you in advance for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

KYFrid

If your gonna already be using an upright hen, I would probably go with the feeding hen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: KYFrid on March 05, 2018, 11:20:50 AM
If your gonna already be using an upright hen, I would probably go with the feeding hen.

Not that I am arguing with you, but what is the reasoning behind that choice? I am just trying to learn and understand. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

ddturkeyhunter

I would say the feeding hen also, my reason is the submissive hen the gobbler has to be almost on top of you to see them anyway sometimes, just because they sit so low on the ground. Unless you are using a bow no need to get them that close to you.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on March 05, 2018, 12:09:50 PM
I would say the feeding hen also, my reason is the submissive hen the gobbler has to be almost on top of you to see them anyway sometimes, just because they sit so low on the ground. Unless you are using a bow no need to get them that close to you.
Okay, thanks, that makes perfect sense to me.

John Koenig:

KYFrid

This was my reasoning as well. Alot of times i will see hens out in a field or logging road and one will have her head up looking around while the other is feeding and then they'd alternate. One was looking out for the other is what i gathered from them doing that.

MK M GOBL

I run several decoys by body position and where we are at in the breeding cycle. I have a number of decoys as well. I would agree I would stay away from the jake  and/or strutter on public land, I am pretty good with using on private ground though.

I have another post just on decoys(ing) and some of what works for me.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.msg691675.html#msg691675

I run DSD's for my sets, I have

Strutter
Jake
Upright Hen
Feeding Hen
Leading Hen
Submissive Hen

All have a place in my sets at the "right" time of the season.

If I were going with just 2 decoys and Run & Gun hunts (Private) I would have the 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen as my choice. These 2 can be set in many scenarios as singles a pair and by short staking the hen and a breeding set, if a third joined the flock it would be the Feeding Hen. I have a lot that goes into my decoy sets and learning how to hunt them "right" is a big part of this.

Funny I used the old Tommy T for a while, I made some mods to him and out of necessity and ingenuity!
In 1999 I designed/developed the "White Headed" gobbler decoy, added in a real fan and beard. I nicknamed/called him BIG PUFFY! I even short staked my hen as a breeder. And here is my DSD Strutter too! (When you hunt him "right" a strutter will work with every age class of bird) Pic is a Jake killed under 15 yards during a Youth Hunt back in 2015 and right at the Full Strut DSD Decoy!

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: KYFrid on March 05, 2018, 02:01:07 PM
This was my reasoning as well. Alot of times i will see hens out in a field or logging road and one will have her head up looking around while the other is feeding and then they'd alternate. One was looking out for the other is what i gathered from them doing that.

Okay thank you very much. I have seen that myself though not when hunting.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 05, 2018, 02:08:38 PM
I run several decoys by body position and where we are at in the breeding cycle. I have a number of decoys as well. I would agree I would stay away from the jake  and/or strutter on public land, I am pretty good with using on private ground though.

I have another post just on decoys(ing) and some of what works for me.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.msg691675.html#msg691675

I run DSD's for my sets, I have

Strutter
Jake
Upright Hen
Feeding Hen
Leading Hen
Submissive Hen

All have a place in my sets at the "right" time of the season.

If I were going with just 2 decoys and Run & Gun hunts (Private) I would have the 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen as my choice. These 2 can be set in many scenarios as singles a pair and by short staking the hen and a breeding set, if a third joined the flock it would be the Feeding Hen. I have a lot that goes into my decoy sets and learning how to hunt them "right" is a big part of this.

Funny I used the old Tommy T for a while, I made some mods to him and out of necessity and ingenuity!
In 1999 I designed/developed the "White Headed" gobbler decoy, added in a real fan and beard. I necknamed/called him BIG PUFFY! I even short staked my hen as a breeder. And here is my DSD Strutter too! (When you hunt him "right" a strutter will work with every age class of bird) Pic is a Jake killed under 15 yards during a Youth Hunt back in 2015 and right at the Full Strut DSD Decoy!

MK M GOBL
Nice looking decoys. I hear those DSD decoys are quite expensive, from what I have heard they are well out of my price range.

I hunt my landlords kids place a lot now, but they have had people break into their cabin a time or two as have some of the other people in the area so I figure if they are breaking into people property they will have no problem trying to hunt their land as well so I don't like the big strutting turkey. I will eventually get a jake in the same style as the hen but car repairs are more important this year. Thanks for the reply and good luck this season.

John Koenig:

MK M GOBL

Been getting some questions on my DSD Strutter and updated a thread I started on this and decoys in general.

Just remember "A tool in the shed"

Here's the link

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.msg777520.html#msg777520

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

So I got the new feeding decoy in the mail this past week and also found my other Jake, posting pictures of the new feeder and the jake in case the styles of either would change the way you would suggest the way I use them? Should I still use what is posted above for advise or does the kind of Jake I have change it? I have a foam hen the same style as the foam jake but needs to be stapled as the bottom is coming apart. Should I maybe stick that hen to the ground as a submissive or is the body style/posture wrong for that.

John Koenig:

dutch@fx4

Stand that Jake  right on top of that hen.like in a breading display.. Old tom will come running

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on March 25, 2018, 05:57:42 PM
Stand that Jake  right on top of that hen.like in a breading display.. Old tom will come running
Jake on bottom is significantly smaller than the hens pictured, will that make a difference? Foam hen is same size as foam Jake in second picture. Thanks again.

John Koenig: