turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Habitat burning

Started by Txag12, March 04, 2018, 08:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalls

Damn, that'a a pretty cool thesis, did you publish anywhere?  Would love to read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

MickT

Quote from: smalls on March 08, 2018, 07:11:48 PM
Damn, that'a a pretty cool thesis, did you publish anywhere?  Would love to read it.

We got it in WIldlife Society Bulletin and the NWT Symposium. Let me see if I can find links. I know I can find one of our side projects in the SEAFWA Proceedings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickT

Quote from: MickT on March 08, 2018, 07:18:14 PM
Quote from: smalls on March 08, 2018, 07:11:48 PM

We got it in WIldlife Society Bulletin and the NWT Symposium. Let me see if I can find links. I know I can find one of our side projects in the SEAFWA Proceedings.

https://ag.tennessee.edu/fwf/craigharper/Documents/Wild-turkey-brood-habitat-following-silv-WSB.pdf

https://ag.tennessee.edu/fwf/craigharper/Documents/Masting_Char_of_White_Oaks_SEAFWA2009.pdf

Gooserbat

I like to turkey hunt burnt areas. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WiLL B

It seems you are not located where you can witness the US Forest Service burning blocks of 5 to 10 thousand acres in a single day after the first of May. But they are making overtime and Hazard Pay. Wet weather in the winter causes them to carry their dormant season burning right on into the summer. They don't want to lose that overtime and Hazard pay! When you look at one of these burns in an area that you know had nesting hens and possibly fresh hatched poults it'll make you sick. No one with any interest in the turkey population would recommend burning 7 thousand acres in the heart of our best turkey WMA the 10th of May. This one made me so sick I went to the office and made a written complaint. Didn't do any good I'm sure but was all I could do. 90% or more of turkey hunters have no Idea it's happening because the season is over and they are gone. There would be an uproar if they did. And they have done a good job of burning up the mid-story hardwoods so the woods are so thick you can hardly walk through them. Nothing but a sparse pine over story letting full sunlight reach the ground so the vines and brush become impenetrable. And what is all this for? To grow a pine tree that they are not going to sell? That's the business I'm in, I'm a Timber Buyer but they just let bugs eat em up or die of old age. I have to buy private timber. So why not manage the Fed Land for wildlife??

smalls

Quote from: WiLL B on March 08, 2018, 08:56:06 PM
It seems you are not located where you can witness the US Forest Service burning blocks of 5 to 10 thousand acres in a single day after the first of May. But they are making overtime and Hazard Pay. Wet weather in the winter causes them to carry their dormant season burning right on into the summer. They don't want to lose that overtime and Hazard pay! When you look at one of these burns in an area that you know had nesting hens and possibly fresh hatched poults it'll make you sick. No one with any interest in the turkey population would recommend burning 7 thousand acres in the heart of our best turkey WMA the 10th of May. This one made me so sick I went to the office and made a written complaint. Didn't do any good I'm sure but was all I could do. 90% or more of turkey hunters have no Idea it's happening because the season is over and they are gone. There would be an uproar if they did. And they have done a good job of burning up the mid-story hardwoods so the woods are so thick you can hardly walk through them. Nothing but a sparse pine over story letting full sunlight reach the ground so the vines and brush become impenetrable. And what is all this for? To grow a pine tree that they are not going to sell? That's the business I'm in, I'm a Timber Buyer but they just let bugs eat em up or die of old age. I have to buy private timber. So why not manage the Fed Land for wildlife??

I hunt national forest in Louisiana.  And they do sell timber off of that forest.  And alot of that ground is some of the most beautiful savannah you will find in the south.

Sounds like the guys managing your national forest aren't very good at their jobs.

I'm far more concerned about predators, hogs, and habitat loss than prescribed burning in the spring.  When the poult per hen numbers and populations are declining across the state of Louisiana in general, fire isn't the problem.  They aren't burning in the swamp or the hardwood forests.

WiLL B

Some of them are my friends and they mean well. But they have failed at timber or wildlife management. But they will change directions eventually. Who knows which way or when though.

smalls

Quote from: WiLL B on March 08, 2018, 09:17:48 PM
Some of them are my friends and they mean well. But they have failed at timber or wildlife management. But they will change directions eventually. Who knows which way or when though.
I feel like wildlife management always takes it's sweet time in changing direction. 

nativeks

You don't get H pay for prescribed fire only work on uncontrolled fire lines. Unless they have changed that recently.