turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you chase the 300's

Started by upfold99, March 04, 2018, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upfold99

New 20ga this year and running tss 9s Apex. Alot of people are getting over 300 in the 10" and some prefer closer 10" - 20" numbers.

At 40yds im consistently shooting 250s in the 10" and 220s in the 20". I know that will kill, however would you chase the 300s because you know its capable, or stick with the even 10" and 20" numbers.

Thanks for your comments.

yelpy

Stick with 250. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

It depends on what you are after.  The appeal of TSS to me is the ability to shoot a wider pattern of adequate density up to 40 yards or so.  So your patterns sound just fine.  You can spend a lot of time and money bumping it up a bit.  I pay more attention to uniformity in the 10-15" ring than anything else because that's about the maximum width of pattern of reliable density for that 20 gauge load.

guesswho

I'd hunt that pattern and never look back.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RemingtonRules

Funny how times have changed. Getting those numbers out of a 20 was unheard of not long ago and now it is considered not enough. Go hunt.

davisd9

No, that is killing pattern. I chase longbeards to kill not pattern counts. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

Numbers are nice.  But I chase turkeys............not numbers.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

hobbes

If I was only killing paper, but I'm interested in killing turkeys.  Id be more than happy with those numbers. 

owlhoot

Good number for turkey hunting pattern.
Only reason to chase more is if you want to see how many in the 10" you can get.
I would hunt with that.

Happy

I wouldn't. I am out to kill turkeys. As long as I have a good killing pattern to 40 with pellets that contain sufficient energy I am happy. I would rather have 120 evenly spread pellets that hit like a train than a bunch of pinholes. Big fan of #6 hevishot and #5 lead. I can't speak for tss since I have no experience but I do know you can go higher in shot size and get the same performance as larger lead pellets. I just can't justify the cost for the range I consider to be the end of the game.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

That is 470 in 20 for a 20 gauge.  Plenty of pellets to kill birds consistently.  If you want, clean and polish your barrel.  Also as temps rise, pellet count will also.  But to answer your question, HUNT IT.

upfold99

Thanks for all your comments. Think Ill stay with what I got and not chase it. Its better numbers than my 3.5" 12 ga with mag blends or longbeard 5s. Excited to hunt with the 20ga.

ilbucksndux

I prefer the on 20 number to the in 10. I have myself missed a very close bird,and have seen a couple others miss because of that super tight pattern.
Gary Bartlow

TauntoHawk

That's actually what I'm hoping to achieve if I got 300+ I'd try and open it up. I want the balanced 10 and 20" pattern that's the draw of TSS to me.

I have a buddy who thinks am an absolute idiot to pay quadruple for TSS over longbeards it kills great at 40 he says. To that I agree but then I asked how many youth hunter or people he took out missed close inside 20yd shots or hard angle shots inside 40 last year. As I know he takes close to a dozen poeple out a season. He replied too many at least 4.

I then asked if he could have that hunt back and I asked him give me $10 and this kid will flatten the bird would he do it. Of course.

I'm not saying you can't miss but with all those pellets you can really take advantage and open up that pattern and almost double your effective kill pattern size. Asking a kid on his first bird to hit a possibly moving baseball (turkey head) with a softball size pattern with all that adrenaline running at 12yrds is a tall order. If I can get a pattern to be twice that size but still kill no questions asked at 40+ I'll do it.

Please don't pm me asking why I'm hating on longbeards, I'm not they are a great shell and changed a lot for the average hunter with a 20ga but for my preference and purpose they can be silly tight in close and I take a lot of inexperienced people out. I'm taking them out to set them up for success so I want my gun to be set up for easy of use and success.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Andy S.

Quote from: upfold99 on March 04, 2018, 09:54:51 AMwould you chase the 300s because you know its capable....
Never.
Quote from: upfold99 on March 04, 2018, 09:54:51 AMAt 40yds im consistently shooting 250s in the 10" and 220s in the 20". .......or stick with the even 10" and 20" numbers.
I would not change a thing, plenty to kill, and plenty of forgiveness for the tight shots.

Others that like shooting paper, missing turkeys up close, or shooting them long distances in open places will likely have a different opinion.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.