OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hearing aids question

Started by pastor, March 04, 2018, 07:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut-n-rut

Quote from: gtrjames on March 07, 2018, 10:37:55 PM
I tried one Walkers Game ear several years ago, and it really messed with my sense of direction. It actually cost me a good deer.. I could hear it walking towards me and it sounded directly in front but it was about 40yards to my left. The plug was in my left ear. I bought another and they worked great unless the wind was blowing. The wind noise really bothered me. I bought a set of muffs and am pleased with them. A turkey gobbling behind you at 40 yards sounds like he's at 20. It's quite a blast to listen to the gobbles again and hear their feathers rattle. Every noise is amplified to the point if they're turned up too high you'll be a paranoid, nervous wreck after an hour of wearing them.
I do recommend them though, it just takes some getting used to.
what ear muffs did you get

goatman

Quote from: pastor on March 04, 2018, 07:19:03 AM
I recently started wearing the ReSound Linx hearing aids and was told by the audiologist that shooting while wearing them would not be good for ears or for the hearing aid. I need these to hear gobbles, can't hear within 100 yards without them. Does anyone on here wear hearing aids? If so would you share how you shoot with them to prevent damage to both ears and aids?
I wear these kind of hearing aids. No way would I go to the timber without them. Unless I for get (CRS). I hear so much more now. My Dr. said they would not suppress loud noises but didn't say anything about any damage to ears or hearing aids.

Bluesman

Quote from: paboxcall on March 04, 2018, 01:21:18 PM
I don't wear hearing aids, but suffer some mid-upper range hearing loss. So I purchased the Walker Razor XV when Cabelas had them on sale last year (link below). So far they have worked great for me in the spring woods or on the range.

At full volume you do get some background noise, but that is any amplifier device, and with these I can dial the volume to amplify environmental sound compared to background. I wear them in the evening trying to roost a bird, or in the morning locating. The bluetooth is a nice feature, works well with the smartphone.

Cons - For hunting, triangulating the source can be hard at first, and there is a learning curve to them. They come with 3 different sized plugs - they are a bit stiff but will fit well once you find your comfort zone. Lastly, they dampen the turkey calls I'm running, which means the noise energy must be significant (interesting to me).

Pros - I hear birds gobbling further off then I can without. And I can hear normal conversations on the gun range so no need to remove them to talk to the range officer. Does a decent job of dampening gun blasts too. Battery lasts a long while.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-accessories/hearing-protection-enhancement/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104381280/walkers-razor-xv-with-bluetooth-reg/2347397.uts?slotId=6

Thank you.  Based on this review I just ordered a set on EBay for $90. 

shoer2

Just checked my digital walkers game ear it had a pack of walkers batteries but are bad that I have used could some tell me what size the battery would be or can I get them at local Walmart thanks

Jasonb53

can't remember the size but i buy my batteries from walmart. I have the walker pro elite

shoer2

Ok thanks I just went on walkers site they said size 13.

gtrjames

Quote from: strut-n-rut on March 10, 2018, 08:28:09 PM
I tried one Walkers Game ear several years ago, and it really messed with my sense of direction. It actually cost me a good deer.. I could hear it walking towards me and it sounded directly in front but it was about 40yards to my left. The plug was in my left ear. I bought another and they worked great unless the wind was blowing. The wind noise really bothered me. I bought a set of muffs and am pleased with them. A turkey gobbling behind you at 40 yards sounds like he's at 20. It's quite a blast to listen to the gobbles again and hear their feathers rattle. Every noise is amplified to the point if they're turned up too high you'll be a paranoid, nervous wreck after an hour of wearing them.
They're called Impact Sport and they weren't that expensive...they work well

strut-n-rut

Quote from: gtrjames on March 13, 2018, 10:36:44 PM
Quote from: strut-n-rut on March 10, 2018, 08:28:09 PM
They're called Impact Sport and they weren't that expensive...they work well
recieved mine yesterday

gtrjames

Good luck....I've used mine for several seasons. For the money I think they're great.