OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any South Dakota guys in here???

Started by SD_smith, March 04, 2018, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

ddturkeyhunter

Not from your state but come over to hunt the Black Hills ever year. Love them pines and hills, don't care for the increasing cat numbers, but expected in the rocky rough area we hunt.

SD_smith

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on March 04, 2018, 07:03:22 AM
Not from your state but come over to hunt the Black Hills ever year. Love them pines and hills, don't scare for the increasing cat numbers, but expected in the rocky rough area we hunt.

I live up in Whitewood between Spearfish and Sturgis. Hills are a little tougher this side of them but it ain't too bad. Been seeing a good bit of birds on a couple of ranches and in town with the winter flocks. We've gotten a lot of recent snow which is scaring me a little bit.

ddturkeyhunter

Was going through a lot of old past pictures of my past turkey hunts. Going to take along to show the guys down in florida in a few weeks. Like I said been coming out maybe past ten years seem like twenty, but first four years never shoot a bird came close many times. But now because of knowing roost trees and lay of land tag out every year. We go first week every year, and that was just because the gates were always locked and closed when we first started comming out there, and it cut down on some of that atv traffic. But that sure has changed in our area alot of the trails have the atv drive around now. So get a lot of the atv's hunters just driving around, and the rest of the cursing traffic. Just part of the hunting in the Hills in my area changing times, they are catering to the atv riders now. Was also going to say that first week my pictures show me we have hunted in the snow as much as on dry ground. Love chasing them Toms in the snow.

SD_smith

Yea I try to hunt as far away from a road as possible. Well if you ever looking for a new spot or a companion you're more than welcome to tag along with me. I'm getting a little bored doing all the hunting by myself. Not many locals hunt turkeys out here and the few that do prefer to shoot them off of dairies on grain with a rifle.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: SD_smith on March 04, 2018, 11:51:54 AM
Yea I try to hunt as far away from a road as possible. Well if you ever looking for a new spot or a companion you're more than welcome to tag along with me. I'm getting a little bored doing all the hunting by myself. Not many locals hunt turkeys out here and the few that do prefer to shoot them off of dairies on grain with a rifle.
Will keep that in mind its always good to have someone to share the stories when you remember ever single detail at the time. But I have two people that want to come along with me this year one who been with past two years and my old boss just who just retired. But is not sure yet his wife has some medical that may prevent him from comming this year. But if at last min if both would cancel I may get ahold of you just for a change. Past two years been going to WY BH after taging out in SD and doing the same over there.

SD_smith