OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 Youth 20 Gauge - fixed mod choke

Started by Buckman18, March 02, 2018, 08:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckman18

My dear ol deddy is not a turkey hunter, he bass fishes instead. I was telling him about the big movement of folks switching to 20 ga and 410 with TSS.

He pulled out an old mossberg 500 youth pump 20 that I learned on back in the 80's, and said, 'Here! Take her for a spin!' Only drawback is it's a fixed modified choke barrel.

Any idea what would be a good shell to experiment with? Would the TSS or hevi shot be decent with a modified? Anyone tried Longbeards? LB's ain't worth a flip with a mod choke in my 12's.

backforty

If you have a gunsmith nearby take and get the barrel threaded for a choke.  I know it's not what your asking but probably your best option.  It cost me around 80.00 bucks to get my H&R single 12 threaded a few yrs back
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Dtrkyman

federals with flight control wad would be best, but nothing is going to be impressive with the Mod choke. send it to sumtoy if you want to make a turkey gun out of it, if you just want to kill a bird for sentimental value then you have a 25-30 yd gun.

Dtrkyman

There is a 22 inch 500 barrel on gunbroker for 50 bux, come with a mod. tube, worth looking into.

dutch@fx4

Teduardo

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 02, 2018, 09:42:14 PM
federals with flight control wad would be best, but nothing is going to be impressive with the Mod choke. send it to sumtoy if you want to make a turkey gun out of it, if you just want to kill a bird for sentimental value then you have a 25-30 yd gun.
I'm not sure what constitutes a 40 yard gun but my daughter's beretta with a modified puts over 100 in a 10" circle at 40 with Federal TSS 1.5 oz #9 reduced recoil loads. Could probably tighten it up to 125ish with a little adjustment. The couple of full chokes I have for it are too tight for her in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

That would surely work but I was talking standard loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk