turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Simmons Pro Diamond Question

Started by larry9988, March 02, 2018, 03:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I bought a Simmons Pro Diamond scope. It is new. Several descriptions state that it identifies a turkeys vitals at 40 yards but there is no explanation of how this works. I know it must have something to do with the vitals filling the diamond. This scope is a 1.5-5x32. It seems to me that as you change the magnification, the vitals would either appear to increase or decrease in size. I called customer service, which is Bushnell now, and they have know idea. Can someone that OWNS and USES this scope give me some clarification.

MK M GOBL

I have a Bushnell and here's how it works. (Not sure if exact same for Simmons)

The outer ring represents a turkey kill zone top of head to base of neck at 40yards (turkeys head/neck extended) and at low power, and yes if you turn power up it changes this set range closer. I leave mine at (my range) and adjusted to where 20 yards is, I kill in the 15-17 yard range.

Circle of Death

MK M GOBL

Tennessee Lead

I have a fixed 4x in the Pro Diamond and it states that of the top of the head and bottom of waddles fill the diamond from top to bottom the turkey is 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

How long is average toms head to waddle?
Use target sheet of paper cut to that long and place at 40 yards and see at what power the diamond is to fit
The reticle may not change at all with change in magnification .

joey46

I have the Simmons Master Series 4x. In the excitement of the hunt it is only going to be a best guess. Practice sighting on some full size decoys at varying known distances may help.  Good luck.

larry9988

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I currently have three live gobblers and four hens. I could setup forty yards away by range finder  and see at what power the kill zone is filled from top of diamond to bottom. I will give a report back when I have time to do this. The decoy idea is an even better way, as it will be still. If anyone has done this before, please chime in. Thanks

larry9988

Got my scope mounted tonight. I will experiment with it over the next few days and report back my findings on how the range finder works.

larry9988

As Makemgobble and Tennessee said, it works on four power at 40 yards. When you change the power it does not work. So for ranging purposes you will have to leave it on forty or just buy a fixed four power.