OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Door knocking

Started by djrcm7, March 01, 2018, 10:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

More than anything is be respectful. Dad had me nocking on doors since I was 12, did a lot of traveling for goose hunting at the time (yup no turkeys to hunt here then) So I learned to ask and thank whether a yes or no was given. Of course Dad learned sending the kid up to the door was a pretty good way of getting permission too, hmmm still works.

MK M GOBL

Rapscallion Vermilion

I've done more door knocking in western and central Kansas than anywhere else, for both pheasant and turkey hunting and had good success.  Good advice on presentation and manners above. We start with finding the birds first through scouting and then try to find the owner.  It has been my experience that landowners particularly don't like big groups so I tell them right off that it is only two of us hunting. I also tell them that we will respect their land and pick up any litter we find. We had one landowner ask us to look out for game feeders on their property because someone was sneaking them on. We offered to haul it out if we found it. They were happy with that. 

It can be real tricky to figure out who owns a particular section.The landowner directories from County-Wide have been real helpful in the past. They typically cover a county or two. These get updated every year and I've been able to get some past issues free from realtors in the area.  You can cross reference the ownership maps with the address listings and phone numbers.

renegade19

Straight to the point, a small gift of deer jerky (I'm famous for it  ;D) with promise of more to come.  IF I get permission I don't just remember them during hunting season and then forget them.  Crappie filets from time to time also help a lot! 

zelmo1

Just spent 45 mins talking to a local cattle farmer/ lumberjack and got permission to hunt 400 acres of prime habitat. We saw 7 jakes and 4 toms there yesterday. Politeness and my attitude got it for me and my daughter. Be nice, it usually works  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

eggshell

Here is an approach....If you have a skill or product you make take it along. This can be anything, even momma's preserves. If they say yes give them the gift as a thank you and have your name on a thank you card with phone and address. If they say no give it to them anyway and ask if you can maybe ask again next year, if not still give it to them and say thanks for your time. I make MAple Syrup and it has got me on some ground before. I once done this for three years on a pheasant farm and the third year the guy met me at the door and said you can hunt before I even spoke. I actually never even asked to hunt the second year, I just dropped off the syrup and said I know you like this so remember me if you ever change your mind.

J_mill

Just be yourself and know that manners and politeness goes a long way. Going in open minded and understanding rejection may come more often than permission helps too. Don't become defensive if someone says no. I've had folks call back later (sometimes hours and others next year) due to the impression made and reconsidering after the fact.

Cottonmouth

It's pretty tough in MS unless there is some connection like family or friends. I drive a UPS truck and have gotten permission at a few customers places.  Midwest is a different story. I can drive up blindly to any farm in Iowa and 8 out of 10 people will give me permission to turkey hunt. Deer hunting is a different story though. Most in the Iowa - Nebraska area care nothing about turkey hunting.

Marc

First off, I make sure that myself and my vehicle are clean...  I do not wear my hunting clothes, and typically wear a polo shirt and khakis or nice jeans.  This is not the time to wear your NRA hat or camouflage outfit...  I have a smile on my face as I approach them, and do my best to appear confident and friendly.

I introduce myself (and state my profession as an eye doctor), and shake hands...  I immediately apologize for disturbing them, and then let them know my purpose...

If I get a "friendly" no, I will often stick around and engage in small-talk if the landowner is so inclined (which they often are)...  Make sure that the small-talk revolves around the land-owner and not yourself...  As I leave, I thank them for their time, and inquire as to anyone that might let me hunt...   All too often, the land-owner will  then let me hunt one day...  Other times, when I return the next year, they will relent and let me hunt...

I happen to have two young daughters that often accompany me, and two cute little girls waving from the back seat does not hurt my odds....

Once permission is acquired (even for one day), I make sure I write and mail a thank you letter (generally after the season, or after the hunt)...  I also present them with a small gift and note at the time of the hunt...  I also clean up any trash that probably does not belong there, and make sure any evidence I was there is positive.

I have never had a land-owner that allowed me only one day to hunt NOT extend that invitation to more days....

And, I never, ever take anyone else out without express permission to do so (including my own children as observers).  And anyone I do get permission to take understands that they are coming as my guest and CANNOT return to hunt without me...  I have lost permission to dove/quail hunt on a ranch due to a "buddy" taking his own family out to hunt...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WNCTracker

I agree to be respectful, don't look like a dirtbag....or a yuppie but just normal folk. I have used my kids as an ice breaker "I want a safe place to teach my kids to hunt where I don't have to worry....". Shows them you have love for your family and are a thoughtful person (if you have kids).  Other times I've gone right to the "I'm happy to only bow hunt so you don't have to worry about guns..."then after you earn trust ask about guns next season or two. I always offer to "keep an eye on their property" and carry a fencing tool to fix fences. I also mail them a gift card the next year along with a self addressed stamped envelope and a "written permission request for them to sign"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

I bring a few small gifts that are unique to the area I'm from.  Also a few bottles of good bourbon if the landowner seems like the type to indulge.  Introduce myself, ask a few questions about the land and the history and then get to the point.  You can usually tell what the answer is going to be before you ask. 

High plains drifter

Drive an old beater.look like a poor, ignorant basterd,works every time.

High plains drifter

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 05, 2018, 08:10:09 AM
I bring a few small gifts that are unique to the area I'm from.  Also a few bottles of good bourbon if the landowner seems like the type to indulge.  Introduce myself, ask a few questions about the land and the history and then get to the point.  You can usually tell what the answer is going to be before you ask.
I don't give them anything.I look poor, I usually hunt by myself, in fact, I look sort of pathetic, and I usually get permission.Farms with fancy houses, will turn everybody down, unless you pay big bucks.It takes expierience, but you can develop a knack for talking to farmers, and finding plsce said to hunt. Driving a beater, farm truck helps.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 11, 2018, 11:47:39 AM
I don't give them anything.I look poor, I usually hunt by myself, in fact, I look sort of pathetic, and I usually get permission.Farms with fancy houses, will turn everybody down, unless you pay big bucks.It takes expierience, but you can develop a knack for talking to farmers, and finding plsce said to hunt. Driving a beater, farm truck helps.

Develop a knack for talking to farmers? Just be yourself: farmers are awesome people. I have talked with them for hours and the guy that taught me to hunt deer is extremely sharp. You play him and you will lose every time. No harm in learning what their interests are but make sure your up front and honest.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

High plains drifter

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 11, 2018, 08:58:55 PM
Quote from: High plains drifter on March 11, 2018, 11:47:39 AM
. When I first started turkey hunting, I had no clue how to go about it.I drove a beater vehicle, and I knocked on doors.Over time, I started getting on some good ground, and you have to learn that over time.I would never wear a polo shirt, or offer more than a 6 pack of pbr. It takes several years to learn what type of ground holds birds, and lots of scouting, talking to people, listening ect.

Develop a knack for talking to farmers? Just be yourself: farmers are awesome people. I have talked with them for hours and the guy that taught me to hunt deer is extremely sharp. You play him and you will lose every time. No harm in learning what their interests are but make sure your up front and honest.

ilbucksndux

I just be myself. I dont show up at the door dressed any different than I normally do. I dont show up with anything in my hands trying to give them. I like to know their name before I walk up to the door I introduce myself and ask if I can turkey hunt,stress teh fact that Im not looking for deer hunting at all. If Im knocking on a door its 99% of the time looking for a place to take my 10 year old. I can get away from the masses on public ground or can deal with it if someone messes tings up, bu I dont like it for him.
Gary Bartlow