OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many shot in a 10" circle?

Started by Daveb, February 26, 2018, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: Daveb on February 27, 2018, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 27, 2018, 07:55:03 PM
Quote from: Daveb on February 27, 2018, 07:38:31 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 27, 2018, 07:35:59 PM
What gun , choke and loads are you using Dave?
Benelli SBE3, Criochoke full. Tested those crappy Hornady's and some Win LB 3" #4 and 3.5" #5's. LB worked pretty well.
Ok that sheds some light.
Hornady turkey loads,  post with mostly  nothing but bad for years here . A friend bought some and we patterned them.All I could do was laugh.

Next 4 shot isn't going to have  a real high 10"count due to not a lot of pellets to start with . That said we had numerous guns with Federal grand slam loads that did 125-140 .
Now the best thing you can do do is get a extended real turkey choke. You don't have to have the most expensive. You can read the threads on here to get some ideas of the good ones along with the loads.
Now that people know what you have they will post on their experience.Lots of information here you just need to get it.
Good luck.

Thanks Owlhoot.
Yeah, I probably should have done some more study on the ammo before buying and trying. Still it's fun just to shoot! Have some MAG blends and LB in #6's coming, they may do a bit better. I still may end up with one of those Sumtoy's before it's all over anyway.
Yep shooting is always fun. The choke will probably be your best choice for any of the loads you have.
Well except for the hornady,lol

Spitten and drummen

250 in the 10 and 250 in the 20 out of 1-5/8 ounces of #9 tss. As close to that as possible.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Daveb on February 27, 2018, 07:21:22 PM
Thanks all the replies fella's

I am in the low 100's with what I tested yesterday. (110-125). Gonna try a few more loads to see if I can get it in up into the mid to high 100's. If not. I'll probably break down and get a different choke. Maybe should have done that to start, all this ammo is expensive!
Have you polished the barrel that's where I'd start

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 27, 2018, 09:37:10 PM

I am in the low 100's with what I tested yesterday. (110-125). Gonna try a few more loads to see if I can get it in up into the mid to high 100's. If not. I'll probably break down and get a different choke. Maybe should have done that to start, all this ammo is expensive!

Benelli have crome barrels.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 27, 2018, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 27, 2018, 09:37:10 PM

Benelli have crome barrels.
Didn't remember what he was shooting. You're right, I guess new choke or new load if you're not happy.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Are you all saying that 100 pellets in a 10" circle for the range you are shooting, or 100 pellets at 40 yards as a general rule?

Not sure where I see the advantage of having 150-200 pellets in a 10" circle, as that is an awfully tight pattern (with a far greater risk of missing a close shot)?

Maybe I am too hung up on wing shooting, where I am looking for an optimum pattern in which the target cannot escape through the pattern without a lethal hit at the ranges I am shooting...

It was my understanding that lead #6's do not carry enough energy to break through the spinal column much past 40 yards (the brain casing yes, the spine no)...  Hevi-shot a bit further, and obviously larger shot sizes and TSS further as well...

I have analyzed and over-analyzed many a pattern in the past...  Currently, I put in a standard full choke, and Hevi-shot #6's and call it good enough.  I put it on paper, and it throws a pattern plenty tight enough to kill a bird at 45 yards (if I can put the pattern on the bird).  It still took the top of a birds head off at 20 yards (which tells me I had a near miss).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Marc on February 28, 2018, 01:16:16 AM
Are you all saying that 100 pellets in a 10" circle for the range you are shooting, or 100 pellets at 40 yards as a general rule?

I want at least 100 on the bird. That doesn't necessarily mean 40 yards. That's just the common bench mark for load testing.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Daveb on February 26, 2018, 09:02:40 PM
What shot count do you consider acceptable at 40 yards in a 10" circle for turkey patterning?
don't get sucked in by the number of pellets over 100. I see many on here stating they want 200-500...that is just insane and honestly is probably ruining your closer shots. Remember, there is a certain amount of pellets in your pattern. Lets pretend you are shooting a shell that has 300 pellets in it. If your pellet count at 40 yards is in the 200+ pellet range, then likely your pattern at 20 yards is the size or a grapefruit or smaller which gives you very little room for error! The general rule of thumb is you lose 30% pellet density for every ten yards once the shot begins to open up past 10in circle. If you are getting 100-130 pellets in a 10in circle at 40, then your closer shots are probably a decent sized pattern. Now, if you are shooting super small shot like HEVI weight 7s or TSS 9s...you will no doubt have many more pellets in your load (500-700). For these type loads, 250 pellets in 10in circle at 40 is optimal and your closer in shots will still be fine. Just my two cents.

falltoms

Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 28, 2018, 02:21:11 PM
What shot count do you consider acceptable at 40 yards in a 10" circle for turkey patterning?
don't get sucked in by the number of pellets over 100. I see many on here stating they want 200-500...that is just insane and honestly is probably ruining your closer shots. Remember, there is a certain amount of pellets in your pattern. Lets pretend you are shooting a shell that has 300 pellets in it. If your pellet count at 40 yards is in the 200+ pellet range, then likely your pattern at 20 yards is the size or a grapefruit or smaller which gives you very little room for error! The general rule of thumb is you lose 30% pellet density for every ten yards once the shot begins to open up past 10in circle. If you are getting 100-130 pellets in a 10in circle at 40, then your closer shots are probably a decent sized pattern. Now, if you are shooting super small shot like HEVI weight 7s or TSS 9s...you will no doubt have many more pellets in your load (500-700). For these type loads, 250 pellets in 10in circle at 40 is optimal and your closer in shots will still be fine. Just my two cents.
                            X2

kyturkeyhunter4

I would at least like to see 150 at that range in a 10 inch circle.

WNCTracker

Browse through the benelli pattern section and look at some choke/load combos and go from there to decide what you're after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 28, 2018, 02:21:11 PM
This is on the money. Here's another issue I have w tss. Many places they're illegal because of size as well

surehuntsalot

the so called magic# has been 100 in 10 for a long time, but I don't get into the big # game

I have been shooting old school lead loads for years that has always gotten the job done if I did mine.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Daveb

Tried some 3" LB #5 and 6's yesterday. Really liking the evenness to the pattern of the 5's and upped my pellet count to 142 at 40 yards, standard full choke. The 6's had a higher count at 158 but not as even distribution and not 100% sold on using #6 lead at 40 yards.
Also tried the Mag Blends, 5,6,7... A few less pellets and pattern not as evenly distributed as the 3" LB #5's. 125 ish was the count if I remember correctly.
I would post pics but can't load Jpegs and don't know how to convert them to something else.
Probably gonna stick with the #5 LB and the standard choke for this season and see how it goes.