OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting Reports:  (Read 5546 times)

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Scouting Reports:
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
Backwater and I are hunting public ground in Florida. Been doing a lot of scouting.
Here is 1 we will be hunting on opening day in less than 3 weeks.
Got him to answer a Harrison Hooter.

Video will not down load; we have a few birds located, just waiting for opening day.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Scouting Reports:
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:54:27 AM »
We've just gotten like 6-8 inches of rain and the rivers are out of their again, so cant get to my scouting area yet , lol.   
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »

Pic from a different camera.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:38 PM »
Got a pic or 2 of a couple longbeards. Gonna listen before work over the next week and locate some. The rain has made things tough for scouting, but I have a few around that I have my eye on.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
Went out again yesterday to 2 of our spots. We listened at daybreak and then checked some cameras.
We where hoping for better results, but we where able to pin down 1 bird and found another bird on 1 of the 4 cameras
We had out. It would have helped if all 4 cameras where on the whole time. Lol. I left one of mine on set up for 2 weeks.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Haven’t been able to listen yet. Hoping this week I can. Checked cameras this afternoon and had several flocks of hens. No long beards but did have a bearded hen if that counts. ????
Loving God's Creation!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
my scouting is pretty much over. Just got to narrow down which one I want to go to first next week to break the ice
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Supposed to rain some tonight but I'm still going to check out a new public spot. I deer hunt it some, lots of big hills and hollers. Several old logging roads that connect back to main gravel so kinda easy walking and slipping.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:28:05 AM »
I was able to sneak out to the woods yesterday, I had to wait until after 1:00 so the youth season would be over. My plan was to throw out a couple cameras
And mark a couple of spots for blinds.( I had a bird gobbling at the end of a trial where the bottom begins)
That spot is also “ our listening” spot. I got to the listening spot and wanted to listen before I went into the bottom to do my thing. I hooted on the Harrison 3
Times and the bird gobbled 100 yds straight ahead. I sat there and listened for a few minutes and just turned around and went back to the car.  Never able to mark any spots or put cams out. We will be in the early this Sat morning and hopefully he cooperates.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Season is only a few days away. Still haven’t heard a gobble and still haven’t gotten any pics of long beards with my hens. I am hoping that changes over the next few days. I do have a friend, who has never killed a turkey, that is wanting to go this year. I went out and scouted his place with him yesterday. He is loaded with sign and his pics have longbeards all in his food plots so hopefully I can get him one soon.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
Went to a spot I deer hunt sometimes. Fairly warm, 55 degrees and it rained last night. Heard 4 in a group, and 2 singles. Gobbled fairly good on the limb but shut up when they hit the ground. Only a few gobbled after that. Going to another spot I found, ton of public woods with very few vehicle tracks too. It's close to home, and that's a good thing.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
Went to other spot this morning. Big difference in temps and cloudy too. I did hear 4, 3 together on one side of road and 1 on the other. The 1 was close, 200 yards. They went hush mouth after 10 minutes of gobbling. Not another peep. But did find some pretty freakin good woods to hunt. Best part was I hardly seen another set of tracks from a rig in an 8 mile stretch. Some of it has been burned in the last 2 weeks. Ought to be interesting, but I can't expect to be the only one,lol. We'll see how busy it gets closer to season and better gobbling.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
Well the poor kids of missouri have probably went through one of the suckiest youth seasons I can remember. It has freakin snowed on and off, cold as a well diggers butt, strong north winds, and temps not over 36, with wind chills of 20 or so. It was tough for the youngsters for sure. Missouri ought to give them next weekend too so at least they would have a chance to fill a tag without freezing,lol. But I got back from my trip late Saturday night and decided to go listen at one of my new spots. Didn't have a youth to hunt with do I went scouting. Dang, 26 degrees and clear at first then it clouded up and started spitting snow!!! I did hear a total of 5, 3 at my first gobble spot, and 1 each at 2 different places on old road. Didn't gobble long but I'm starting to locate a few and marking spot in OnX. Who knows what will happen, season on the 16th!!! Hurry!! Lol????

Offline birdman67

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:23:20 AM »
Been terrible weather around here the last few weekends. So I’ve been watching the forecasts and today I’m taking off work to give it a try. Gonna be a perfect day. Hopefully I can locate one that wants to play! I’ll let you guys know how it goes!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
Good luck to ya!! We finalize our plans for Monday morning. Going to hunt a farm in Howell county. Supposedly we have free run of a 4500 cattle farm instead of just being able to hunt certain parts of the farm. But I have located some bird bout 8 miles from my house, on government. I drove through 16,000 acres sunday on roads looking for heavily trafficked areas, old dim roads, and mapping out some property on my onX app. hardly nobody in there, good for me!!