turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's looking for sheds?

Started by blake_08, February 22, 2018, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Just wondering how many on the forum get out and do some shed hunting. Sheds are my second passion after turkeys, and to me it's almost as good to find a big set as it is to kill a good gobbling turkey, almost. Here's a set I found this past weekend. 150s class 8 point. Heck of a deer no matter where you go.]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

NCbowjunkie

Just thinking yesterday that I need to get out looking, that's a nice set there! I see several crow call and yelpers that can be made there.

blake_08

Quote from: NCbowjunkie on February 22, 2018, 11:13:46 AM
Just thinking yesterday that I need to get out looking, that's a nice set there! I see several crow call and yelpers that can be made there.
I love seeing things made from deer antlers but i could never cut any of my sheds up to make them. Way too many miles, effort, and memories in them for me. My wife always tries to get me to do something "useful" with my sheds, but i tell her to mind her own business (in a round about way of course). :toothy9:

old3toe

I put on several miles each winter/spring myself. I love being out there searching and like you said its very much worth it when you find a nice set or even single. Things are pretty hit and miss though here in ky each year with the fluctuating temps and mild winters we get sometimes. Lots of times a majority of the bucks are still holding them on into April and even May. By the time they do drop they're much harder to find after green up. Doesn't stop me from hoping and looking though.lol Dad found a nice eight point set and I found a nice typical twelve dead head with a couple broken tines so far. Its about time to hit it hard!

Haypatch

That's a real nice set congrats on the find!

guesswho

Still in their head here.  Usually start finding them mid to late March. I have seen them still with both antlers in mud April.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

compton30

marshboy

Blake,
That's a beauty of a set, congrats.
I found my first shed this year in Northern Iowa in late January...I found 5 sheds yesterday AM.
Greg

Cut N Run

I check the horse pastures and hay fields around the horse farms for sheds as I work there.  Nothing decent this year so far.  I'm always happy if I find them before the squirrels do.  I cut up the smaller mis-matched sheds to use as flint knapping pressure flakers for making stone arrowheads & spearpoints.  I have a few good matching pairs, but they're nowhere near as big as what you found Blake.  That's a stud buck and he'll likely be bigger next year.  Great find!  Good luck the rest of the way.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

perrytrails

Many still carrying their gear here in se Ohio. Looking to get out this weekend. I'm sure some have dropped already.

snapper1982

Picked up about 30 so far. A few good ones. One 72" 4pt I will be trying to match up.

chadly

That is a good set.  I saw two good bucks last Saturday still holding.  Iv'e been out six times and found four.  I've only once found a matching pair.  Hopefully you have rights to hunt the piece you found the set on.  Imagine what he will be like next year!   :jackson:

Rzrbac

Started last week, this is my second year to shed hunt. Last week I seen five different bucks still carrying both sides. I haven't found anything from this year but picked up a few from last year, nothing remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6x6 bull

Here in central MO my yellow lab and I have walked about 50 miles and haven't found any yet! We have jumped a lot of bucks that are still packing both sets though.

blake_08

Thanks for all the replies guys. I started in early January and I've picked up 31 so far this year. I usually find about 50 or 60 every winter/spring before the green up here in Oklahoma. To all the newer guys getting out, it's like anything else the more you do it the better you get at it. I've been doing it hardcore for about 10 years and I still have days that I walk 10 miles and draw a goose egg but I still enjoy being out there and doing it. Snapper I'd like to see that 72" 4pt you have. That's a heck of a buck. Good luck finding the other side!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk