turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hearing Enhancement and Protection advice & opinions needed

Started by idgobble, February 19, 2018, 12:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

At 70 yrs. my hearing is still good in one ear and I have 40% loss in the other. I wear E.A.R. custom fit earplugs that protect and are also adjustable for higher volume.  They work pretty well but it's hard to adjust them for directional pick up.  I'm sometimes not exactly sure where the gobbling is coming from.  I'm thinking about some good quality earmuff style hearing protection with volume adjustment on both sides to wear when hunting.  I might even wear the E.A.R.s inside the muffs if that seems to make it easier to figure out the exact direction the gobbler is.  Any of you guys have this problem? Which muffs with volume adjustment would you recommend?

Tom Threetoes

Go with a good company and have someone who knows what they're doing set your hearing aids up for your needs. I bought muffs for shooting but don't wear them for hunting. I'm seventy and my hearing gets worse every year. If your aids are adjusted properly you'll have directional hearing, but nothing works as well as what you were born with.

shoer2

I have the digital walkers .they are a little bit better then old ones but still can't tell direction sometimes.

joey46

I wear the Walker muffs. Walker makes several types of muffs. Buy the ones with the four directional mics $$ and you'll be satisfied.  I wore mine yesterday on a four hour scouting trip.  Doesn't hurt to wear them often just to get your mind trained on what to expect.  When I wore only a single in the ear model I noticed, and allowed for, an approximate 45 degree error in my thought process.  If I heard a cluck at 12 o'clock the bird would turn out to be more at 3 o'clock.  Good muffs don't have this problem for me.  Good luck.

HFultzjr

Tail Feathers

I use the Howard Leight's.  They definitely help me hear birds I couldn't otherwise hear.  Direction can be a bit of a challenge, but I usually can tell enough about direction to get closer where I can hear without the muffs.  Then it's on!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

JHoyle

I bought a set of the walkers silencer ear plugs and have been very impressed. Can hear well and direction well due to the in the ear design. Plus they shut off when u shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Don't know if this will help but I have used Walker Game Ear digital (I think the designation is 4 something). I've had very good luck with directional hearing if I put them in, close my eyes and snap my fingers as I'm moving right to left. I adjust the volume of each Game Ear. When I can tell where the snapping is coming from, they're set and my directional hearing is pretty darned good.
This year I bought hearing aides but, man, they were expensive!
My hearing, especially in one ear, is as bad as it gets...
Wondering if additional Game Ear would solve your issue?

Phire Phite

My problem is I'm young and my hearing is already a problem.  I can't imagine what another 35 years of hunting will do if I don't find some kind of solution.  I've been looking at a couple of these myself.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Phire Phite on February 20, 2018, 10:44:07 PM
My problem is I'm young and my hearing is already a problem.  I can't imagine what another 35 years of hunting will do if I don't find some kind of solution.  I've been looking at a couple of these myself.

You could always go to an audiologist, if you can afford one.
Mine wanted over $11,000........$5,000 per ear + some extras.
Insurance wouldn't help, so Howard Leight did.
:character0029: