OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

its just not right or is it? makers selling calls while you have an order placed

Started by adkmountainken, February 18, 2018, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Why I have some much respect for Albert Paul. He takes calls for people to try at the shows, but your name goes on the list after those already on the list. Not a fan of waiting on a call that I took my time to order for someone to just walk up and buy it off a table as I still wait. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

I am also not paying for a call until it is ready to ship. Have no problem paying before I get it but not paying to put my name on a list.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2018, 02:11:13 PM
Why I have some much respect for Albert Paul. He takes calls for people to try at the shows, but your name goes on the list after those already on the list. Not a fan of waiting on a call that I took my time to order for someone to just walk up and buy it off a table as I still wait. Just my opinion

Agree
The way it should probably be done.

Greg Massey

You know a lot of call makers will still honor prices after the convention for couple weeks or still give a discount.

SteelerFan

Communication - or lack there of...

If call maker "X" talked to you, and took an order from you, and simply said "I'll put you on the list... it's probably going to be 6 weeks or so, because I am making 3 dozen to sell at my booth in two weeks" then there would be a lot less upset customers. Maybe?

yelpy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 18, 2018, 02:49:24 PM
You know a lot of call makers will still honor prices after the convention for couple weeks or still give a discount.
I didn't know the were sold at a discount at the convention.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: yelpy on February 18, 2018, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 18, 2018, 02:49:24 PM
I didn't know the were sold at a discount at the convention.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk
I would call no shipping cost a discount, if your at the convention and score a call you would of have been waiting on...just opinion....

Jobugg12

Not all these call makers get a booth, they sell from there rooms and other places.  But that's their choice I guess.  That's why you see the crazy prices on certain pots calls here lately. Or the trumpet maker that sells only to the collectors with deep pockets. 

quavers59

I put in a order for THE JAKE box caller back around 1996 or so . Maryland call maker. I paid for this new box and it never came!! I forgot about the order and when I remembered almost 2 years later-- I thought -the heck with it.

silvestris

Makes one rethink his decision to introduce so many to the sport.  Of course the videos don't help the situation either.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

OP, I get your point, but they have to get their name and product out there and the convention is the best place to do it.  They kind of have to have inventory to sell there.  I wouldn't be too upset over it, it's done to keep his business going.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

longbeardbuster

Maybe he made the calls for the show and put them aside and the call you ordered is made after the ones for the show. Like if he made 100 calls to sell at the show those are ear marked for the show. Then he makes calls for orders. So while he is sell to people at the show those are what those calls were made for.

Seminoleturkey

I'm super glad I have been ordering calls from John Sinclair recently.great sound with excellent craftsmanship and the best shipping time in the industry.ordered a new green slate in walnut on Friday and was playing it on Tuesday .

Mbhyman88

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2018, 02:11:13 PM

Yea that seems like a fair way to do business if you have other buyers waiting on call already.

Dukejb

Unfortunately it's a necessary part of the business model for a lot of craftsmen. It's pretty common in the custom knife market as well. Conventions/shows are a chance to expand their customer base and they are able to make a lot of sales they couldn't through other means. Without calls there to sell, a lot of potential new customers would keep walking to the next booth that did. Someone like Albert Paul is in a different situation. He has a dedicated and established customer base and isn't going to run short on sales any time soon. For those of us sitting on the list it stinks, but if the calls (or whatever other goods) weren't worth the wait, we wouldn't be on the list to begin with.