OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public Land Osceolas

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 18, 2018, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

So, if you were to tackle a public land Osceola gobbler, which WMAs seem to have the better bird population? Preferably those who do not require a quota permit.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Fieldturkey

squidd

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 18, 2018, 11:17:51 AM
Please pm any responses.
For the nonresident that has never hunted in florida the reason for someone else saying PM any responses is because things said are here to be read for many years to come. And even if a place has a good population you add a few hundred more people after them, it will make a different. I'm from MN my first year down there was in 2009, and someone shot my decoy that year already. I been going down there every two years since and it has gotten worse. So after you go down there and see how crowed some of the places can get, you to will learn to keep your mouth shut, in respect for the residents that have to hunt there every year.

StruttinGobbler3

I completely understand the privacy aspect. Thanks for any info
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

joey46

That's why the non-quota areas are called "Romp and Stomps".  If you hunt weekdays at the end of the season you'll enjoy these WMAs more.  First weekend or first week everybody needs a helmet.  Good luck.

howl

Posted three hours ago (Read 107 times)

eorlando

Quote from: howl on February 18, 2018, 02:59:15 PM
Posted three hours ago (Read 107 times)
Yup. I hate these threads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

guesswho

I grew up hunting Florida WMA's in the 60's through the early 90's.   About the only thing I can say is I wish you could have experienced it then.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

quavers59

I think alot of hunters would want to hunt South Florida. Did not think it was that crowded though. Sounds like the local turkey hunters down there must take a Tom right quick!

Fieldturkey

OP I hope you find the info you are looking for. Didn't meant I sidetrack this thread. Just feel strongly about keeping this stuff in the PMs

Old Gobbler

It's real tuff down here , been so for decades .... the unknowing well meaning hunter would never have known

A long history of threads gone sideways from guys just looking for a pointer or two ....it's best that all hints and help be diverted to pm's ---otherwise the predictable ..some hurt feelings , blah..blah...blah

Anyways good luck --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

fallhnt

Popcorn threads....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

southern_leo

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 18, 2018, 11:58:37 AM
Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 18, 2018, 11:17:51 AM
Please pm any responses.
For the nonresident that has never hunted in florida the reason for someone else saying PM any responses is because things said are here to be read for many years to come. And even if a place has a good population you add a few hundred more people after them, it will make a different. I'm from MN my first year down there was in 2009, and someone shot my decoy that year already. I been going down there every two years since and it has gotten worse. So after you go down there and see how crowed some of the places can get, you to will learn to keep your mouth shut, in respect for the residents that have to hunt there every year.
Wish everyone did this. Some good public land is destroyed by online posts now. I suggest everyone pm help comments.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

djrcm7

I went down last year to a popular wma and was astonished by the number of hunters and the poor quality land. If you want an Osceola save your money for a couple years and pay an outfitter that can put you on private land.
Med student from MO