turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas public land hunting

Started by RussM311, February 15, 2018, 07:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussM311

Due to a sudden schedule change, Kansas may be in the crosshairs this spring. I have never hunted in Kansas before, and just threw a dart at the map.  Will be coming from near St Louis, and this seemed to be a fairly easy location to get to from the highway system.  Looking at Melvern wildlife area as a possible location, mainly due to the camping facilities (state park and corps of engineers).  Good choice? Bad choice? In general, how is the turkey hunting in this management area?  How is the turkey hunting pressure?  I have ordered topo maps of the area, and will do terrain analysis using them and Google Earth.....  Thanks for any comments or advice you may have.

Thank you
Rusty

Gamblinman

Be sure and enter the Kansas draw..it's still open.

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Bolandstrutters

Pressure has increased each of the last three years I've hunted Kansas.  Still gobbling birds and plenty of land though.  I'd pick an area of the state that is saturated with walk in hunting areas instead of focusing on one spot.  Be mobile. 

HookedonHooks

I too would focus on the northern border portion of the state that like someone already suggested, is saturated with WIHA access land. This will give you plenty of options, and a LOT of birds are in Kansas, a little scouting and you'll find them on most of those properties.

CAPTJJ

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 15, 2018, 08:12:23 PM

The only draw for turkeys is in Unit 4.

fallhnt

Quote from: CAPTJJ on February 16, 2018, 09:15:49 AM

I think he means special draw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Ericbrooks

Lots of lakes in the Eastern part of the state with public land around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAPTJJ

Quote from: fallhnt on February 16, 2018, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: CAPTJJ on February 16, 2018, 09:15:49 AM

I think he means special draw.

Forgot about those, only go for early archery and most of them are later.

nativeks

Melvern is 10 minutes from the house. It will be very tough. I've been dealing with trespassers the last 2 years because the hunting is so shitty they just start driving around looking to poach. Pressure is pretty damn heavy. Turkey numbers on my place are down significantly since I bought the place in 2013. Good luck.

redjones

I have been hunting for the last 15yrs or so not to far from Melvern on private ground,the number of people hunting that area has really multiplied especially in the last 5yrs.
Not saying you can't still have a good hunt but you better be ready to share the spots you find,not trying to move you out of the area I hunt but I think the farther West you go the less competition you will have to deal with.
Tons of guys coming from East of the Mississippi and Eastern Kansas takes a beating these days.

Good Luck.............Greg
Semper Fi

Hooksfan

I have been hunting that area for 18 years. The last 8 years has been insane. I drove through Melvern late season one year and I have never seen birds that spooky from road traffic in my life. I have hunted all over Kansas, and can tell you the internet has had a HUGE impact. The area around Melvern and probably 80 miles in any direction seems to be the hardest hit. Lots of Arkansas and Louisiana hunters.  Out west may be a little better, but I couldn't believe the number of Colorado tags out that way.

fallhnt

Here's a good spot.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeyfoot

You just gave away my honeyhole. But seriously La has declined i myself hope all the internet hype diesvdown then ill start going back last year was pretty crazy most hunters is ever seen and all out state as well as least amount birds I've heard

cuttinAR

I've been hunting KS for almost 15 years as an out of stater 99% of which on private ground.  I can say without a doubt the numbers have trended down pretty severely, especially over the last five years.  Our landowner has noticed the winter flocks that used to be 100+ has dwindled down to half of that, and fewer flocks in general.

Unfortunately KS was publicized as a place where it was "easy" to kill turkeys.  I can say from experience, sometimes it isn't.  To me, that has led to many hunters (lots from my home state) resorting to poaching or road hunting.  They would rather do that and come home with turkeys than admit to failure in an "easy" state.  Drive by turkeys in KS now and start to slow down, they'll sprint to the nearest cover.  Didn't used to do that.

RussM311

I appreciate the responses, always good to have first hand experience reports.   I enjoy hunting in a new location each year, more to just get out and see something different, than to harvest birds.  I find it interesting how birds can be so different in varied areas of the country.  For instance:  I have seen easterns wading in beard-deep water down here in Louisiana......while I have watched easterns balk at crossing a 6 inch deep 3 ft wide ditch in Missouri. Its also the thrill of the "pre-hunt " preparation.... hours of pouring over literature, maps, Google Earth, and posts from kind people like here on the forum. I have found places where I never saw or heard another hunter, and I have found places where hunters were sitting under every third tree, but, I have enjoyed every single hunt and adventure. The key is to identify what your real goal is:    to kill birds?   or to have a great experience?     Sometimes, the two are both attainable, sometimes they are not.   To me, it is the experience.... working some birds... being outsmarted... and occasionally finding that one slightly deaf and blind tom that stumbles close enough for me to harvest.  Best wishes to all in the upcoming season..... may each of you have the experiences you desire.  Safe hunting one and all.