OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS vs. Hevi

Started by spencerhoosier, February 13, 2018, 03:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhoosier

I currently shoot Nitro H517 4x5x7. What improvement would I get with going to TSS #8 or #9. I understand more shot on target, but what about knockdown? Can I shoot the same distance(or more) with equal effectiveness? Not trying to start up a distance debate, I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the smaller shot size being more effective.

1iagobblergetter

taylorjones20

The Nitro H517 is a good load but I wouldn't put it in the same class as TSS.  There's a reason Nitro and Federal has jumped on the TSS wagon...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

KentuckyLB

Hevi shot once was the standard...it does not even fit in the same boat as TSS by a long shot.

Spitten and drummen

Tss stomps hevi shot in every way. Heavy shot is bad , tss is bad to the bone.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

g8rvet

Quote from: spencerhoosier on February 13, 2018, 03:55:32 PM
I currently shoot Nitro H517 4x5x7. What improvement would I get with going to TSS #8 or #9. I understand more shot on target, but what about knockdown? Can I shoot the same distance(or more) with equal effectiveness? Not trying to start up a distance debate, I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the smaller shot size being more effective.

How dead do you want them? 

Do you enjoy shooting paper?

If you have a good choke/shell combo that is currently in production, are very confident in it at the range you shoot and have at least 4-5 years worth of shells, then I say why bother hunting the next best thing? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Fullfan

We killed 11 long beards last years with TSS #9 shot, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Stuff works and we will keep shooting it.  And another thing the birds do not bleed like they do when shot with Heviweights..
Don't gobble at me...

owlhoot

Quote from: Fullfan on February 13, 2018, 05:35:21 PM
We killed 11 long beards last years with TSS #9 shot, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Stuff works and we will keep shooting it.  And another thing the birds do not bleed like they do when shot with Heviweights..
You lost me on the bleeding part?

bbcoach

It's about Trauma not knockdown (more broken bones, more blood loss and more nerve and brain damage).  Put more pellets on target (head and neck) with #8 and #9 TSS equals trauma.  More shot on target with TSS will equal quicker kills.  My Hevi-13 7's destroy turkeys and I've got plenty so I won't be getting on the 12 gauge TSS train.  If I decide to go with a 20 in the future, I would look at TSS but IMO 12 gauge TSS is overkill.  Call them in close and you don't need much to kill a bird.   

dirt road ninja

Knock down is irrelevant..the tss will give u better penetration and more range. I switched a few years ago from Nitros to tss

dirt road ninja

I can't remember how many I've killed with the stuff, never noticed a bleeding difference between lead, HTL, and Tss.

bbcoach

Check out this thread  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70176.30.html  Cut open the neck of a dead turkey and see the damage that is done.  You can't see much damage from outside but their is a lot of damage under the skin.  More pellets on the head and neck equals more trauma damage.

B.Fipps.1

What kind of choke are y'all shooting with the TSS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

grayfox

What's the difference in price between Hevi-13 & TSS. I have been shooting the Hevi-13 for 4 seasons now with nothing but dead turkeys. Is the TSS cheaper? I really don't know much about it.

Deast1988

Hevi 13 density is 13g/cc
Federal tss 18g/cc
Nitro tss 18.5g/cc

Much denser more retained energy from a much smaller pellet. I was told hevi 13 #7 hits around lead #6 in energy terms.

TSS #9 is around lead #5 in energy.

U can go up on 30% more hits in a pattern with the actual pellet being way more wicked.
That's why u see even tss #9.5-10s being used some. You can go down in size and still match hevi #7 performance.