OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are calls prices getting out of hand?

Started by KYHeadhunter02, February 12, 2018, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

Do you feel like prices of pot calls are getting higher and higher? I understand the price of wood may increase some, especially exotics, but I'm not sure some of the prices are justified. From a business stand point its supply and demand. The demand for certain calls is high and hunters will pay whatever the price may be within reason. Average prices of a lot of calls seem to be $70-100?

What are your thoughts an opinions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

Nope because to me time is money and money is time...I don't make calls but I don't think people understand the amount of work that goes into one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballer

I think that price range is reasonable for a quality custom call

Fieldturkey

The resale price is out of hand. The call makers have stayed pretty consistent.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 12, 2018, 09:28:28 PM
The resale price is out of hand. The call makers have stayed pretty consistent.

This is also the reason call makers are raising their prices too... Why not capture a minimal portion of that market without bumping too many customers out of their price range. After all they're the ones that put all the work into making it, not the one looking to flip for profit.

JLH

More power to them if they can get the money.....a turkey call is only worth what someone will pay.

It seems the longer the wait, the more they charge.....if they were hungry, they would work more, for less money.

davisd9

It would take something really special for me to pay the $100 or more some of these pot calls are going for. I do not mind paying for quality but there is a competitive market and I could care less what awards the judges in Nashville and other places hand out.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Wildflower Game Caller

As a call maker/small business owner, I'll add that taxes for online sellers have changed for many states over the last couple of years.  The government taxes a business for forming, selling, and making a profit.  A lot of times the sales tax is shifted to the burden of the consumer, unfortunately. 

Chris O

I like the prices between 40$ to 80$ or so on pots I figure I don't need the 120$ pot call to kill a turkey so I just won't buy them. There are a lot of good hunting calls around the 50$ mark

sbbow

Quote from: Chris O on February 13, 2018, 04:46:37 AM
I like the prices between 40$ to 80$ or so on pots I figure I don't need the 120$ pot call to kill a turkey so I just won't buy them. There are a lot of good hunting calls around the 50$ mark
^^^^ this

243kid

The price of Woodhaven a mass produced call is crazy to me. Any time there is one in the classified it is lucky to fetch half of what you paid for it!

Not only can the price of calls is outrageous but consider what call makers ask for exotic wood striker?

pauld

This is a very interesting topic to me as a call maker. I get comments all the time, had one yesterday, about the fact that I only charge $60 for a pot and the sound, fit and finish are superior to mass produced pots that are selling in stores for $75-100. I always just smile when I hear this but the fact of the matter is several things. 1) yes material prices have gone up in the last few years, especially wood. 2) the cost of mass produced calls have gone up the last few years and this sets the bar for a lot of our prices. If you're getting a mass produced CNC call with a basic finish and a basic wood and paying $75-80, then a truly custom call with a higher grade of wood, fit, finish and most importantly sound would be of equal or greater value by that logic. The market is driven by customers and influenced by average big box cost. For me, I'm staying between $60-75 for an AVERAGE cost of my pots and $120 for a box. I feel it's a fair price to my customers and that's what's important to me. Not everyone is the same though and some will be higher of lower.

FL-Boss

The cost of pretty much everything rises each year. This is especially true with things realted to hunting.

No call makers needs to explain their costs. Simple supply & demand...if your product allows you to sell it for $200.00... Do it. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

johnski

You have to keep in mind when running your own business you are expected to pay both halves of Social security, Medicare etc., so right off the top that's around 50% of any profits.  I know its not the same but I am a photographer and people ask me about my rates all the time and then I start explaining to them about expenses and taxes and in the end there isn't as much left over as you might think especially considering the time involved. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 13, 2018, 08:02:51 AM
The cost of pretty much everything rises each year. This is especially true with things realted to hunting.

No call makers needs to explain their costs. Simple supply & demand...if your product allows you to sell it for $200.00... Do it. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
x2