OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Typical hunting areas  (Read 7209 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Typical hunting areas
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
With team members spread all across the nation, what do your local hunting environments look like? Do you typically hunt high ridges or swampy river bottoms? Is it in triple digits or snow?

Tell us what it's like in your neck of the woods.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Re: Typical hunting areas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »
Well, we'll have snow through mid March most likely and there's about a foot left of the record breaking 7 FEET (not a typo) we had here in NW, PA earlier this year.  Not to mention it didnt crawl past the single digit temps for multiple weeks at a time.  We have all manner of topography in west/northwest PA, with mostly rolling hills to mountains and large timber flats, interspersed with ag and green fields.  I don't even really start looking hard for birds unail mid March.   Don't have to where I have the privilege to hunt as I know the land like the back of my hand.  I make a point to memorize a new area as much as i possibly can when I first start scouting and use my hunt stand app to mark points of interest.  Makes it easier to traverse in the dark and to know where birds are roosting, feeding, strutting and loafing.  I like to let my trail cams do the scouting for me when it's early in the year and when I just can't get out to walk as well.  My trail cams actually assisted me in bagging both my birds last year on one farm that I just couldn't get to as often as I liked.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:22 AM »
Love my trail cams.   Breeding a hen EARLY April. Not typical for my area.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
Here in my neck of MO it's mostly rolling hardwood timber and ag fields/pastures. No real large blocks of continuous   timber,mostly broken up by a fields.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »
Here in my neck of MO it's mostly rolling hardwood timber and ag fields/pastures. No real large blocks of continuous   timber,mostly broken up by a fields.
What ag plantings do your birds seem to prefer? Is anything up during your season?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »
That's in PA? Our birds here in MS are honeymooning that same time.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
 Mostly corn and beans. We plant winter wheat some years. Sometimes depending on weather there may be some corn starting to come up but it's not a guarantee. Our neighbor plants crops on our ground and his and also have crops on the farm north of us we hunt. We don't hunt fields real often a lot of our timber is open from cattle grazing

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
That's in PA? Our birds here in MS are honeymooning that same time.

April 10th and we had 4 inches of snow the previous week.  That's seriously early for the birds to be breeding up here but then we did have a broken winter with periods of unseasonably warm weather...

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
Here in MS we are blessed with a great variety of habitat from vast hardwood river bottoms to rolling hills to flat agricultural lands to Alabama Black Belt to loess hills to piney woods. Gobblers are in all of them. We are also blessed with 665,000 acres of state managed WMAs scattered through the state in all of the habitat I just described. Typically, I hunt public lands. The first part of the turkey season is usually a little crowded, until one thing occurs - the newspaper in Jackson publishes an article reporting that the crappie are biting at the Reservoir. The woods are immediately vacated of people, leaving just me and the loud-mouthed love lorn lotharios to duel it out for the rest of the season. The WMAs in the central part of the state have river and creek hardwood bottoms with areas of mature planted pines in which the managers will periodically conduct controlled burns on. In usual years the gobbling will peak around the first part of April and slowly taper off through the first of May. Our turkeys are grand masters at avoiding the Tungsten tornadoes, but they will sacrifice one or two youngsters to us, just to take the pressure off of themselves.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
Here in AZ mostly ponderosa pine forests with fairly deep canyons and long high ridges for the Merriam's. Temps range from flat out cold snow to flat out hot depending upon early or late season. For some of the Gould's it is rolling oak and grass hills and river bottoms as they are in the southern end of the state however there are some large mountains and pine forests there as well.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Man that sound like a heavy workout complete with glorious views.

On a long shot, did you happen to know Marvin Robbins? He was a legendary turkey hunter from Phoenix who died a few years back.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
Mine changes from state to state but here in Ms it’s big ridges and beautiful bottoms along some creeks. Mixed timber raniging from pines to hardwoods.

This year I’ll be chasing a bird in the swamps of Florida with my 12yr old daughter.

I’ll also be hunting one of the coolest places you could hunt a turkey, on a volcano!! From sea level to 13k+feet snow covered mountain tops. It’s gonna be awesome.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »
on a volcano!! From sea level to 13k+feet snow covered mountain tops. It’s gonna be awesome.

That truly sounds like a glorious hunt!! Where is that, in Hawaii or the Pacific NW?

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Mine changes from state to state as well.  Most all of the TX and OK stuff is either big mesquite flats to wide open wheat fields with tree lined creeks.  KS is big cottonwood lined creeks/rivers next to wide open grain or wheat fields.  MS and AL is hardwood bottoms and cow pastures.  I enjoy those ponderosa pine forests in the NW in the hills since I don't get to hunt that stuff very much.  Hoping I can sneak away to CO and NM this year.  I still need a bird in LA too!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
Man that sound like a heavy workout complete with glorious views.

On a long shot, did you happen to know Marvin Robbins? He was a legendary turkey hunter from Phoenix who died a few years back.

I had met Marvin several times at local events, mainly a seminar put on by the local chapter, but did not know him personally.