OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS special steel 22” barrel

Started by Millsb88, February 10, 2018, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millsb88

Does anyone have experience with heavyweight #7 and this gun? I have been using Winchester #4 lead and they do great, but with the rise of all the new shells available I want to give something else a try. I have the factory extra full choke. Any insight on what others have used, Choke and shells used with the browning BPS special steel 22" barrel would be appreciated.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Millsb88 on February 10, 2018, 03:10:08 PM
Does anyone have experience with heavyweight #7 and this gun? I have been using Winchester #4 lead and they do great, but with the rise of all the new shells available I want to give something else a try. I have the factory extra full choke. Any insight on what others have used, Choke and shells used with the browning BPS special steel 22" barrel would be appreciated.
Is the factory extra full choke a flush choke or extended choke ?

Millsb88

the Ward

From what I hear, federal is discontinuing the heavyweight line of shells in favor of their new tss loads, so I wouldn't spend time and money setting up for them unless you have a supply on hand.
I have a bps upland special with  a 21" tube that I have used for many years. There are quite a few choke and load combos that shoot great out of the invector plus barrels. Is your choke the factory extended turkey full? If so it should be a .640 exit diameter which is probably going to be too tight for hevi type shot. Since you have been using lead 4's with good results you may want to start by trying the Winchester Longbeards in 5 or 6 shot before you try changing chokes, it may be just what you are looking for and they are cheap to boot. Look at the browning section of the pattern pictures and you can see the results of different chokes and loads. Good luck and..... :welcomeOG: