turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 SPS-T 20 guage

Started by Tailwalk, February 09, 2018, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deast1988

They were one of they early true 20ga turkey guns. Remington made it as a dedicated setup for turkeys. They were priced high at the time compared to other 20s. And I don't think they were very successful. Since they've been discontinued. So they are in the category as Greenleaf or original bottomland guns. Just a collectors piece for 20ga turkey hunters. That is very practical and useable.

Gobspur

Quote from: Deast1988 on March 09, 2018, 08:45:38 AM
They were one of they early true 20ga turkey guns. Remington made it as a dedicated setup for turkeys. They were priced high at the time compared to other 20s. And I don't think they were very successful. Since they've been discontinued. So they are in the category as Greenleaf or original bottomland guns. Just a collectors piece for 20ga turkey hunters. That is very practical and useable.
Gotcha, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PALongspur

Quote from: akp on March 09, 2018, 07:06:29 AM
I mentioned this on here last year... there are 870 turkey barrels out there with sights in 20 gauge.  I snagged one last year.  Have to hunt for them a bit but they are there.  I know most of the guys accessorize theirs a little more in the sight dept but figured I'd mention it again for those that like traditional iron style sights.

There are some on gunbroker now.

Are these factory Remington barrels? Camo or black matte?

akp

Factory Remington/matte black.  I thought I had saved the box but did not.  I cannot remember the part number.  The one I ordered came with a turkey choke.

I didn't like taking the sights off the vent rib every year when my son would quail hunt with me then putting them back on and patterning again.  The barrel is a nice addition if you're trying to make one of the 870 youths a dedicated turkey gun.  I wasn't interested in red dot or a scope.  If I run across the part number of the one I ordered, I'll put it here.  The ones I'm seeing on gunbroker don't show a turkey choke in the picture, but do state that they're RemChoke.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I bought one for my daughter around 2004 I think. She still has it. Daddy gets to hunt with it every now and then. I didn't know they were rare.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tailwalk

If anyone has one for sale let me know please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rem 300

I haven't got to shoot mine yet but I think I am going to like it

Tailwalk

Quote from: rem 300 on March 09, 2018, 06:48:26 PM
Man I'd just box it up and sell it to me lol...

rem 300

Quote from: Tailwalk on March 09, 2018, 07:59:10 PM
Quote from: rem 300 on March 09, 2018, 06:48:26 PM
Man I'd just box it up and sell it to me lol...

Lol I think I may hang onto it for a while nice little gun

Tailwalk

I am still looking if anyone has a lead on one.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

Also the sps-t is basically a Wingmaster with a 21" rifle sighted barell camo dipped. Remington sells the rifle sighted 21" factory barells online. No need to spend all that time and or money for the same thing. As for as the "Special purpose" or "quality " of the old school guns everyone talks about....I've said it before Wingmaster a 1950 Wingmaster 1990 or 2018 a Wingmaster 870 will be the same quality. Now go dirt cheap an buy an Express an you'll have plenty to complain about on various forums.

Greg Massey

I've got both old Wingmaster's and express 870 ... both shoot , never had a quality problem with either one ...they all go bang ....

LaLongbeard

:z-winnersmiley:
Quote from: Greg Massey on December 24, 2018, 02:53:21 PM
I've got both old Wingmaster's and express 870 ... both shoot , never had a quality problem with either one ...they all go bang ....
The older Express models were fine I had one when they first came out way back an the only difference was the birch wood stock instead of walnut an the Matt finish. The recent Express models have got a lot of complaints about rough actions, and barells that shoot a foot low and left using the bead site etc. non of these complaints have been directed to the Wingmaster new or old

Greg Massey

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 24, 2018, 03:00:43 PM
:z-winnersmiley:
Quote from: Greg Massey on December 24, 2018, 02:53:21 PM
The older Express models were fine I had one when they first came out way back an the only difference was the birch wood stock instead of walnut an the Matt finish. The recent Express models have got a lot of complaints about rough actions, and barells that shoot a foot low and left using the bead site etc. non of these complaints have been directed to the Wingmaster new or old
Did you know some of the old Wingmasters had a smaller forearm ? I've got old 16 gauge Wingmaster with the smaller forearm ....