turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best grey slate over glass?

Started by BottomLand54, February 09, 2018, 07:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

Ok guys, I want a good quality grey slate over glass, or even over whatever. I just want a quality grey slate pot with a nice matching striker. I want all of your feedback on call maker and why you like it best.

Everyone's opinions is welcomed and I know this is a bias question.

Ok 1,2,3 GO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

If you like an old school sound , Eddie wynne. His persimmon or his zebrawood. His persimmon is a little clearer. I have killed turkeys with both. His one piece purple heart gets my nod. Scott Hock makes a good whiteoak pot . Difficult to come by, but paul platz anything all day. I have a slate over glass in yellowheart made by david tyree that's a killer. There are PLENTY of great ones out there.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

chuckward

I have a cherry and a maple platz that sound better than any I've heard, but they are next to impossible to get. Lonzo, Cornelius and Schaffer are all safe bets

BottomLand54

Any these guys on here?
What's there og name?

Bowguy

Quote from: chuckward on February 09, 2018, 09:00:51 AM
I have a cherry and a maple platz that sound better than any I've heard, but they are next to impossible to get. Lonzo, Cornelius and Schaffer are all safe bets
Good choices especially the Platz.  Another name to consider is Dustin Jones.

hunter22

My favorite slates are Eddie Wynne, Paul Platz, Lonzo, Darrin Dawkins walnut or plastic, Clint Corder.......

wvmntnhick

Said it before but here goes another shameless plug. Mike Yingling. Have one in an ingrown bark maple pot and it's solid as they come. Striker doesn't matter. Another good one, and I don't know the soundboard material, is Lonnie Sneed's hot hen.

bobk

Mike Yingling and Paul Platz are both excellent  makers of slate pots. Mike's  are fairly available.

cutt down

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 09, 2018, 08:52:16 AM
If you like an old school sound , Eddie wynne. His persimmon or his zebrawood. His persimmon is a little clearer. I have killed turkeys with both. His one piece purple heart gets my nod. Scott Hock makes a good whiteoak pot . Difficult to come by, but paul platz anything all day. I have a slate over glass in yellowheart made by david tyree that's a killer. There are PLENTY of great ones out there.

I concur with Eddie Wynne & Paul Platz.......and will add Mike Yingling to the mix. Don't know much about Scott Hock.

Clardh

Im a big Scott Hock fan and his name is the same on this forum. All the other call makers mentioned are good to great. There is one callmaker I don't think anyone mentioned and that is Bill Lyman. I have a killer slate over glass in a cedar pot I love. He is callermakerman on here.