Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How common do you think Bearded hens are?

Started by WNCTracker, February 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Every year I see a few of them but this morning there was a flock of hens in the road and 4 or 5 of them had 1" beards?  Maybe something genetic in that group?

NCbowjunkie

I usually see 1 or 2 a year on different land, it seems the ones that I see are lone hens.

Haypatch

I've seen a few on our land over the years ...  got a few pictures of one a couple years ago while deer hunting that had about a 9" beard!

Gamblinman

Seems to run more common in certain flocks and areas. I hunt a ranch in TX that has quite a few.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

fallhnt

10% of the hen population has beards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

Quote from: WNCTracker on February 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM
Every year I see a few of them but this morning there was a flock of hens in the road and 4 or 5 of them had 1" beards?  Maybe something genetic in that group?

Well my guess is those are all the same brood mates (sisters) of last year with the "beard" trait. They would be Jennys just as jakes. I see them often enough each year and in some areas more often.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Real common on the grounds I frequent, as are multibeards.  Not sure if there is any correlation between the two or not.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 02:36:55 PM
Real common on the grounds I frequent, as are multibeards.  Not sure if there is any correlation between the two or not.

There is a theory that there is because of the beard gene coming from both sides. The farm I hunt has bearded hens and multi beards. No idea if there is more to it than just the theory.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 02:36:55 PM

I have been told by my turkey mentor, that he has seen an correlation between bearded hens and multi bearded gobblers.

One tract I hunt, the only bird killed off it 2 years ago was double bearded. Then this past fall, while deer hunting, I saw 3 bearded hens in a group of 6 birds. These hens all had 4 inch beards minimum.

LaLongbeard

Depends on the location I've never seen a bearded hen in Louisiana last year a guy hunting with us in Nebraska shot two bearded hens and we saw a few more on the same farm.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

BottomLand54

We hunted one last year 7-9 inch beard just couldn't find her. Unreal how big she was and how long her beard was. Only one I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge

I agree that it is a genetic thing; certain areas seem to hold more bearded hens than others. For example, Delaware seems to have a higher percentage of bearded hens than most areas. However, if I remember correctly, I believe the overall percentage of hens with a beard is closer to 2-4%.

SteelerFan

greencop01

In Plymouth Ma I have seen bearded hens for many years now. Not an over abundance but more than I have seen anywhere else, even neighboring states. It must be in the gene pool in this area. I add that I have never shot a bearded hen. Never wanted a turkey that bad to kill a hen in the spring.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

joey46

Have hunted FL, OH, KY, TN and WV since the 1970s and never seen one in the field or at a check station.