Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?

Started by raven105, February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Quote from: Chad Snyder on February 09, 2018, 09:22:57 AM
Received this yesterday.   Grandsons name on cover with Lonnie.    Finish is rough.  Could have been sanded more.    Sounds decent
That's not Lonnie's handwriting though. Idk for sure who's building the calls, but the bad customer service I received came straight from Lonnie without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

KYFrid

Saw a post today on facebook that Lonnie Sr won't be making any more ceramic calls.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I'm a new guy and don't know very much about the Sneeds but what I read about them was all great.  I placed an order a couple weeks ago with grandson for a hot hen and an outlaw also. I did ask specifically about the covers and he told me they would come with covers. I was asking bc I wanted to purchase them if they weren't included.  I'm really hoping they come with the calls. I understand if you have to quit making them. That's nobproblem but I would like them to honor my conversation about the covers since we talked about it before the transaction. I did pay using PayPal with the grandson and I did kind of felt funny about doing that. I thought maybe it was just me. I don't know. I'm definitely not accusing the grandson of any wrongdoing but it did seem strange.  Anyway I'm looking forward to getting the calls and I hope they sound killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckward

Lonnie doesn't make you pay until calls are ready. So that sounds kinda fishy

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: chuckward on February 09, 2018, 02:20:51 PM

This is true. Mr Lonnie is a great guy and I hate to see his grandson bring his reputation down with call quality and customer service. I bet Mr. Lonnie does not realize what is going on.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

outdoors

Quote from: chuckward on February 09, 2018, 02:20:51 PM
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Dukejb

I bought two sets of calls after talking to Lonnie Sr. Both times he asked me to send a check before the calls were done to insure faster shipping.  The first order was before Thanksgiving and the second was right after Christmas. Mine all came with covers. The outlaw hen and hot hen from the first order both have pretty sloppy glue work, but the raspy hen from the second order looks great. All three calls sound great. I'll try to remember take and post a family picture when I get home from work.

raven105

Quote from: aclawrence on February 09, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
I'm a new guy and don't know very much about the Sneeds but what I read about them was all great.  I placed an order a couple weeks ago with grandson for a hot hen and an outlaw also. I did ask specifically about the covers and he told me they would come with covers. I was asking bc I wanted to purchase them if they weren't included.  I'm really hoping they come with the calls. I understand if you have to quit making them. That's nobproblem but I would like them to honor my conversation about the covers since we talked about it before the transaction. I did pay using PayPal with the grandson and I did kind of felt funny about doing that. I thought maybe it was just me. I don't know. I'm definitely not accusing the grandson of any wrongdoing but it did seem strange.  Anyway I'm looking forward to getting the calls and I hope they sound killer.

This experience was similar to mine.  Based on recommendations of Sneed call quality on forums like this one, I communicated via text with the grandson to buy 2 calls and was sent a paypal request immediately for the 2 calls ($60 each plus $10 shipping).  This was his personal paypal account.  The whole thing made me feel uneasy, which inspired me to start this thread to see what others have experienced.  I placed an order anyway and now feel hosed, especially seeing what Blake shared about Lonnie telling him to pound sand after receiving a very low quality call.  To say the least, my expectations have been lowered

chbarnha

I ordered my first two calls from me sneed through the grandson 2.5 weeks ago. Received my calls yesterday. Now I don't know a whole lot about the business or how it used to be run but I received my calls in a timely manner and am very satisfied with the calls I received. Paid the grandson through PayPal as well. Not speaking for every situation but mine was at least favorable.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

aclawrence

Honestly the reason I wanted to purchase one of Lonnie Sneeds calls first, was because of his age. There is obviously a ton of incredible call makers on the forum here and I'm sure you could not go wrong with any of their calls. After reading about Mr. Lonnie's calls and his reputation I discovered  that he was into his early 80s and I just assumed that he probably would not be making calls for a whole lot longer. So I really felt the urge to go ahead and buy a couple calls from him.  He definitely has kind of a legacy in the call making works and I wanted to have a part of that before he stopped making calls. It looks like I was just barely a little bit late to get one of his true genuine calls. I was never really under the assumption that he made like the prettiest or the most top quality calls but just that they were really great calls and had a unique sound. I'm hoping that the calls will come with his name on them and with the covers.  I think it's need is a grandson has a chance to learn a unique skill set and I hope that he can excel in that craft. Hopefully my calls will sound awesome and if they don't I'll just move on to some of the other builders here on the forum.

johnski

It's to bad people are having quality issues with his calls.  I bought a hot hen in 2014 and a heartbreaker (ceramic) last March and both are great sounding calls.  I was thinking about ordering an Outlaw Hen this spring but will probably hold off now.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: aclawrence on February 09, 2018, 03:11:53 PM
Honestly the reason I wanted to purchase one of Lonnie Sneeds calls first, was because of his age. There is obviously a ton of incredible call makers on the forum here and I'm sure you could not go wrong with any of their calls. After reading about Mr. Lonnie's calls and his reputation I discovered  that he was into his early 80s and I just assumed that he probably would not be making calls for a whole lot longer. So I really felt the urge to go ahead and buy a couple calls from him.  He definitely has kind of a legacy in the call making works and I wanted to have a part of that before he stopped making calls. It looks like I was just barely a little bit late to get one of his true genuine calls. I was never really under the assumption that he made like the prettiest or the most top quality calls but just that they were really great calls and had a unique sound. I'm hoping that the calls will come with his name on them and with the covers.  I think it's need is a grandson has a chance to learn a unique skill set and I hope that he can excel in that craft. Hopefully my calls will sound awesome and if they don't I'll just move on to some of the other builders here on the forum.

I ordered mine in January for the exact reasons you listed.
I called Mr. Sneed and talked with him on the phone and that was part of the process I was looking forward to.
My calls look good no bad glue joints but my calls and covers aren't personalized like so many I've seen.
I'm not letting go of them simply because of Mr. Sneeds legacy in the call making world.
I will pass them on to my Son someday.

Terry

I think people are jumping to conclusions and making some awful assumptions here. Remember,  this is America and we are innocent until proven guilty

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Terry on February 09, 2018, 04:46:09 PM
I think people are jumping to conclusions and making some awful assumptions here. Remember,  this is America and we are innocent until proven guilty

Your right it is easy to make assumptions, and as humans we are quick to do so. BUT after speaking to Jason(grandson) about getting a call that was built solely by Lonnie,  I received some questionable info. Maybe he's trying to put together some money for Lonnie?  Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Terry

I'm not defending anyone,  just saying the accusations some people are hinting at are not one's I'd make without solid proof