OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?  (Read 44484 times)

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
I did some digging on Facebook, from what I gathered his grandson is working in the shop with him. I read a few comments on the Lonnie Sneeds turkey calls page.

If I had to guess, I'd say his grandson made it with his help?

I'm on the fence about ordering one now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:25 AM »
Guys I don't wanna be a party pooper but the man asked an opinion. I feel like I'd be the cause of someone not getting the exact call they like if they don't know what I've seen.
Lots of guys love his calls. God bless them.
Here's what I've personally seen. Calls that were glued together. The bottom and top are seperate parts. Ok that may be his style. The striker tips I've seen were way crooked compared to the tops. Visible glue was showing around a not very neat hole drilled. It's was kinda anthill shaped and sticking out w visible finger impressions.
I also wasn't crazy about the sound but everyone likes something different. No snappiness to the call imo. This was perhaps 3 calls so not vast experience but was consistant in each.
My intent is by no means to sway anyone it's just to give another side. I wonder if some calls come in different sounding and that may be the difference. There's a post to that end already.
The man has a great following. I wish not to hurt him or that. The price is also cheap so you could expect maybe less clean. You have the info now do what you want I'll not elaborate again

Offline blake_08

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »
Guys I don't wanna be a party pooper but the man asked an opinion. I feel like I'd be the cause of someone not getting the exact call they like if they don't know what I've seen.
Lots of guys love his calls. God bless them.
Here's what I've personally seen. Calls that were glued together. The bottom and top are seperate parts. Ok that may be his style. The striker tips I've seen were way crooked compared to the tops. Visible glue was showing around a not very neat hole drilled. It's was kinda anthill shaped and sticking out w visible finger impressions.
I also wasn't crazy about the sound but everyone likes something different. No snappiness to the call imo. This was perhaps 3 calls so not vast experience but was consistant in each.
My intent is by no means to sway anyone it's just to give another side. I wonder if some calls come in different sounding and that may be the difference. There's a post to that end already.
The man has a great following. I wish not to hurt him or that. The price is also cheap so you could expect maybe less clean. You have the info now do what you want I'll not elaborate again
Bowguy I'm glad you brought that up. I didnt think to really go into the looks side of things because if it sounds good, I don't care what it looks like. But on this new call the work is much more sloppy. The striker is way crooked as you stated and there's a lot of visible glue on both the striker and the call. There was even quite a bit of glue on the outer edge of the calling surface. I was able to sand most of it off. I'll post a few pictures and then that's all I'll say on the matter because I'm not trying to trash his company, just give honest feedback. Striker and call on the right are new. Left hand stuff is the first order I made
Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:29:42 PM by blake_08 »

Offline blake_08

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »
I don't know why those rotated. Sorry

Online KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 07:18:13 AM »
Wow that is alot of glue. Maybe he needs to do what Platz and Corder have done and hold off on taking anymore orders until they can get caught up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Swab21

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I also noticed in pictures of calls people posted on the Facebook page that the strikers looked crooked. I have been following the Facebook page and it seems as if he is training up his grandson to take over the business and is letting him make more and more calls by himself. Just last night his grandson posted that he was going to shop to make calls to get orders filled in the middle of the night, which makes me think he is making them and not Lonnie. I ordered 2 more calls about 2 weeks ago that are in the process of being made just to have some extras.  I was notified after I had already paid that I was not getting the covers and also that prices have went up. I think the publicity on Facebook has sent orders through the roof and quality may be lacking because of the pressure of putting out a high volume of calls. I will be able to check when they come in.  That being Said Lonnie’s calls are awesome, I love the two that he made me in the early 2000’s and I hope the two I get soon will be just as impressive. The Hot hen and outlaw hen are awesome calls!!! I am glad to see Lonnie doing so well and passing on his wisdom to his grandson.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Those first pictures look super messed up on a computer. Let me try this again :OGturkeyhead:

BottomLand54

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »
That’s awful I don’t even know how to make a pot call and that’s awful man. I don’t know this guy or don’t know his calls but no way I would order anything that looks that sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
I’ve owned one Sneed call and that was all I needed. I was completely disappointed in the quality and sound of the call. Bowguy explained it perfectly. Everyone is different though and I by no means wish bad on the guy. But I was not impressed what so ever.

Offline Triple B

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »
Lonnie is getting up there in age,and can only do so much. I have several of his calls,and they are all at
at least 3 or 4 years old.I have no complaints on what he did for me, and I have had many many conversations
with him over the years.
He can only build them so fast...

Online raven105

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
Blake, that Outlaw Hen looks like pure garbage. Thanks for posting those.  I'm having real buyer's remorse now.  I'll keep my finger's crossed that my calls turn out better than that 

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
I have to agree with bowguy and babs . I was never impressed with the calls that I got from him. Traded them all off. Lonnie is a super nice man and I really enjoy talking to him , but never was a fan of his calls.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Maybe his grandson will get there one day. Those calls look awful though. I'll be keeping my money. I would order if I knew Lonnie was going to build mine,  and that doesn't seem like the case. Thanks for sharing the pics. I feel bad for ya. Have you tried reaching out to his son and show him the pics?

Offline Chad Snyder

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
Spoke to the grandson 2 weeks ago and ordered 2 calls.   Kinda nervous now. 

Offline KYHeadhunter02

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
Apparently his grandson is putting a call that was built by Lonnie in 2007 up for auction on the Sneeds Custom call Facebook page if anyone is interested. The original starting bid was $150 and people were making comments, so he lowered it to $100. Still pretty high IMO,  but you know what your getting.  Also,  there's a video of Lonnie running the call. Includes a straight striker.