turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going without a vest this year...

Started by northms, February 05, 2018, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

...I think this year I am going to hunt without a vest and see how it goes. Later in the year I always end up slimming down my gear and I'm going to cut out the early season hassle and trim the fat earlier this year.

I have quite a few big pockets on the clothes I wear and I probably will take a little backpack with me that's lighter overall than a vest. I usually only carry a handful of mouth calls and maybe one friction call into the woods, plus binos, cutting shears, and a few other things.

Anybody else drop the vest recently and feel liberated?  :OGturkeyhead:

Gooserbat

I hunted with a fanny pack, box call holster, slate pouch, butt cushion some last year.  Works pretty good as it forces you to lighten up.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

outdoors

My vote for fanny pack , this is my 4th season using it ...
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

daddyduke

Can you kill a turkey without a vest? :TooFunny: A doubled up wally world bag and get ur done.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: northms on February 05, 2018, 03:43:00 PM
...I think this year I am going to hunt without a vest and see how it goes. Later in the year I always end up slimming down my gear and I'm going to cut out the early season hassle and trim the fat earlier this year.

I have quite a few big pockets on the clothes I wear and I probably will take a little backpack with me that's lighter overall than a vest. I usually only carry a handful of mouth calls and maybe one friction call into the woods, plus binos, cutting shears, and a few other things.

Anybody else drop the vest recently and feel liberated?  :OGturkeyhead:

Did this a while ago

Love the Badlands Pack, fit's what I need (Same items you are listing) and rides on your side, the over the shoulder strap is great, never droops this way and drops off fast with a click of the waist buckle.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

I got a NEW GLENDA SATCHEL for this year and i'm sure after i'm done it will be full. That's why i bought all my turkey hunting stuff is to enjoy the challenge of trying different calls and sounding like different birds. I change out my call's during the season... remember calls are not just CALL"S they are musical instruments. I plan on putting concert on this spring for those gobblers ...

guesswho

Went to a fanny pack last year and have no plans on going back to a vest.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

I have almost always preferred an expandable backpack over a vest, although I still use a vest in certain situations.  An expandable pack is compact and light-weight enough to not be burdensome to carry afield, but when expanded, allows you to carry a surprisingly large amount of "stuff" when needed. 

Premier Turkey Calls

I really believe that the less gear that I bring along, the more successful I am. It's probably that I am so focused on utilizing my gear that I am less focused on the main goal of the hunt...

Happy

Quote from: guesswho on February 05, 2018, 05:37:05 PM
Like this kind of fanny pack? Guess you have to put your keys somewhere while your putting the rear naked chokehold on some poor critter.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2018, 07:20:21 PM
Like this kind of fanny pack? Guess you have to put your keys somewhere while your putting the rear naked chokehold on some poor critter.
:TooFunny: Exactly like that except camo and a little bit different.   Good for my keys, hairbrush and lipstick.  I like to look my best while applying the rear naked choke.   I almost went with a man purse but that didn't sound macho enough.   Fanny pack is where's it at!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dr Juice

Quote from: guesswho on February 05, 2018, 07:28:27 PM
:TooFunny: Exactly like that except camo and a little bit different.   Good for my keys, hairbrush and lipstick.  I like to look my best while applying the rear naked choke.   I almost went with a man purse but that didn't sound macho enough.   Fanny pack is where's it at!
Nice

Greg Massey

Quote from: Dr Juice on February 05, 2018, 07:58:16 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 05, 2018, 07:28:27 PM
Nice
Is this a liberal...

Happy

:TooFunny: Turkey season needs to get here faster gents.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

grayfox

Quote from: Happy on February 05, 2018, 08:10:26 PM
:TooFunny: Turkey season needs to get here faster gents.

You ain't joking. The faster the better.