turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What’s in your vest?

Started by DeafGobbler, February 04, 2018, 08:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafGobbler

I didn't look, but I imagine there's more then one of these posts somewhere... I've turkey hunted on and off for about 10 years but just got bit by the bug hardcore last year. While putting the duck stuff up this weekend, I pulled my vest down and started going through it.

What are some must haves for you guys? Look forward to learning!

Yoder409

Probably pocket lint..................

Gave up on the vest years ago and went to a fanny pack.   

I hunt very light.

One slate
Two strikers
One box
Couple diaphragms
Couple extra shells
License
Knife
Wet wipes

'Bout it
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Coop1082

I'm the opposite of Yoder. I carry everything but the kitchen sink. Normally it's 3-4 pot calls (usually slate, glass/crystal, aluminum, and ceramic), 8-10 strikers, a box (could be long or short just depending on what I'm feeling), a scratcher or 3, and my two favorite mouth calls (Hooks Heartthrob and Hooks GC3). That's just on the call side. I always have my water bottle, my clippers, a extra facemask and gloves, my call conditioning baggy (sanding screen, scotchbrite, box chalk), and definitely some TP in there somewhere. I think that's about it? I'm sure I'm missing something lol. 80% of the time I don't use half of what's in there on the day on the call side of things but I've also been in enough situations where a bird was completely quite until he heard something totally different sound wise out of my vest that I still warrant having a load of options as a good idea. Mainly it's because I have an addiction to calls and I feel like that's a good excuse...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Happy

* 2 pot calls.
* 2 strikers.
* scratch box.
* crow call. Hardly used.
* owl call. Hardly used.
* foil type helium balloon.(it has "your special"written on it)
* snake bite kit.
* hunting license.
* zip ties.
* my "survival" bag.
* facemask. Seldom used.
* Gloves.
* Shotgun shells.
* Lunch.
* knife.
* Turkey tote.
* 2 water bottles.
* primos slick stick.
* collapsible foam hen decoy. I haven't killed a bird using it for 5 years or so but it does make a nice back pad and sometimes a pillow.

Think that's it. I have my diaphram calls around my neck along with a wingbone and I am set.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

Really don't need that much, I carry a slate, a glass and a few strikers. Also about 6 diaphragms. I have four locators. I trimmed down all the stuff I don't need for killing birds and went to a hip pack. The rest of the essentials are along too...

Here's the Pack Dump

Greg Massey

I carry lot's of stuff and it's just to much to list and i don't want give away my secret's.. you never know who's trolling the web... or has gps ...

zsully

2 pots, 3 strikers, 2 diaphragms, H2O, TP, conditioning kit, shells, ratchet pruners, license.  That's about it.  I've tried to really cut back in the recent years.

DeafGobbler

Well the idea was I was going to post a picture of my vest all emptied out. Unfortunately I've spent the last house trying to figure it out from imgur and Flickr and I give up.

I'm like mentioned above, I bring quite a bit but I like being prepared. 2 pots, 1 box, 4-6 mouth calls, 2 locators, tp, licenses with map of wma I'm at, conditioner kit, gloves and mask, water, thermacell, shells....

3bailey3

I can't believe no one has mentioned a thermacell, I can't sit still here in Ms. Woods without one!

BottomLand54

1) air horn
2) whistle
3) blaze orange vest and hat
4) ozonic machine
5) snickers bar
6) sunscreen
7) sunglasses
8) lemonade
9) life jacket
10) safety vest

I can't talk about too much more because like Greg Massey afraid someone might pickup on my secrets.

I am really thinking this year
2 pot calls
2 box calls
3 mouth calls
2 extra shells
3 strikers
Gloves
Face mask
Bottle water
Turkey tote
Snack bars
Scotch brite
Chalk
Crow call

That's about it.
And I may only carry 1 box, however I rotate calls depending on location and day. I even change calls throughout the day sometimes.

I wear a cabelas Tatr 2

I may carry toilet paper sometimes I forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

And a thermacell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 04, 2018, 08:12:47 PM
Probably pocket lint..................

Gave up on the vest years ago and went to a fanny pack.   

I hunt very light.

One slate
Two strikers
One box
Couple diaphragms
Couple extra shells
License
Knife
Wet wipes

'Bout it
Add a Thermacell, snacks and water and this what I'll be hitting the woods with this spring.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

Handful of shells
Handful of mouth calls
3-4 strikers
Couple of pots
Box call
Owl hooter
Crow call
Scotchbrite/sand paper/chalk
Headnet
Gloves
Thermocell and extra stuff for it
Wet wipes
Couple blue shop towels
And a 3' mini tape measure to measure the beards.  If it's under 12" I leave the bird for the coyotes, after all they gotta eat to.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

richard black

1 trumpet
1 scratchbox
1 diaphragm
Thermacell
Seat
Shells
Hat, mask, gloves, etc
Gun-surprised nobody else takes theirs, just the shells. Haha.
Try to go as light as possible the last few years. The older you get, the heavier the gear gets.

JMalin

Thread bump since I was curious about what others took.

One pot call
One striker
Box call
Two diaphragm calls
Turkey wing to simulate hen flying down (I've yet to kill a bird straight off the roost)
Gloves
Facemask
TP
Quart of water
Snacks
Turkey tote