OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cleaning Chokes?

Started by BDeal, February 02, 2018, 03:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Curious as to what solvents and methods people are using to clean their turkey chokes?

Thank You

Greg Massey

Just regular gun oil and a rag...

nyhunter

denatured alcohol, and a bronze brush screwed onto a short piece of old old cleaning rod.   I remove the choke and scrub it really good, run a few dry patches down it and let it set until it's totally dry .  Beware tho holding the choke in your hand like I do your gonna get a little messy,   prolly not a good idea to wear your best suit and tie  ;D

bbcoach

Brake cleaner and old tooth brush.  The brake cleaner will brake down the plastic fouling and remove any excessive choke tube grease.  Just scrub with the tooth brush, rinse and apply a small amount of tube grease and reinsert.

taylorjones20

Quote from: bbcoach on February 02, 2018, 03:58:22 PM
Brake cleaner and old tooth brush.  The brake cleaner will brake down the plastic fouling and remove any excessive choke tube grease.  Just scrub with the tooth brush, rinse and apply a small amount of tube grease and reinsert.

X2 or butches bore shine. It's powerful stuff...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

1iagobblergetter

I use Butchs and a brass brush...Then run patches through. Once it's clean then I spray a little rem oil on a couple patches and run them through. Then a dry patch because all i want is a light film of oil so it doesnt rust. Just the way i do it. Others might have a better way...Like others said it's messy.. I do it over the garbage can when I'm cleaning the gun or guns then the garbage goes out or my wife ain't happy when she gets home....

Greg Massey

Okay , guys i'm never to old to learn and i have order a bottle of Butch bore shine ... yes i like the idea of still oiling the chokes and barrel after cleaning with Butch's ...thanks guy's for the information ...

bbcoach

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 02, 2018, 05:27:16 PM
I use Butchs and a brass brush...Then run patches through. Once it's clean then I spray a little rem oil on a couple patches and run them through. Then a dry patch because all i want is a light film of oil so it doesnt rust. Just the way i do it. Others might have a better way...Like others said it's messy.. I do it over the garbage can when I'm cleaning the gun or guns then the garbage goes out or my wife ain't happy when she gets home....
Not sure why we want oil on our chokes.  Most are made from 17-7PH Stainless Steel, heat treated to 160-180KSI, which shouldn't rust.  A little choke lube on the threads to keep the threads from binding in the barrel and keep moisture out of the threads should be sufficient.

Greg Massey

Quote from: bbcoach on February 02, 2018, 06:51:54 PM
Not sure why we want oil on our chokes.  Most are made from 17-7PH Stainless Steel, heat treated to 160-180KSI, which shouldn't rust.  A little choke lube on the threads to keep the threads from binding in the barrel and keep moisture out of the threads should be sufficient.
It's just something all of us older hunter have done with oiling the chokes. Regardless it doesn't hurt..

redjones

Ok,everybody list their go too method for cleaning choke's,and by all means use whatever method sounds the best to you.
Then find a bottle of this https://goofoffproducts.com and after you have cleaned your choke the way you like,take and pour some goof off in a bowl,glass,etc., a small mason jar is what I use because I can reseal it after the choke is clean and it makes it easier to swirl around and see all the junk that comes off.
Make sure the choke is covered with liquid,let it sit overnight,no scrubbing,rubbing or wire brushing required,I swirl the jar a time or two after it has sat for a few hours.
Let it sit overnight and then see how much more gunk and gook comes off your choke, especially if your choke has stops and lines in it.

Greg

Semper Fi

Greg Massey

Quote from: redjones on February 02, 2018, 07:28:35 PM
Ok,everybody list their go too method for cleaning choke's,and by all means use whatever method sounds the best to you.
Then find a bottle of this https://goofoffproducts.com and after you have cleaned your choke the way you like,take and pour some goof off in a bowl,glass,etc., a small mason jar is what I use because I can reseal it after the choke is clean and it makes it easier to swirl around and see all the junk that comes off.
Make sure the choke is covered with liquid,let it sit overnight,no scrubbing,rubbing or wire brushing required,I swirl the jar a time or two after it has sat for a few hours.
Let it sit overnight and then see how much more gunk and gook comes off your choke, especially if your choke has stops and lines in it.

Greg
Thanks for information

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: bbcoach on February 02, 2018, 06:51:54 PM
I've seen all kinds of different metals that aren't suppose to rust that have. I'll keep doing what I'm doing I sleep better... :icon_thumright:

Yoder409

A buddy of mine who is a major choke tube manufacturer got me started on Slip 2000.

Good stuff
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gobble!

Hoppes and a brass brush to loosen everything followed by dry pads to clean it out

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on February 03, 2018, 01:15:29 AM
Hoppes and a brass brush to loosen everything followed by dry pads to clean it out
From what i understand and have been told if you use the right stuff , you don't need that brass brush at all...if you need a brush, just used a old tooth brush...