OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crystal vs glass

Started by Mossberg835, January 31, 2018, 08:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg835

What are the differences in the two? Pros and cons of the two? Trying to decide next pot surface to try.

Bowguy

Imo most of the time crystal is higher. Glass sounds more realistic to my ear. There are a few exceptions to the second part

southern_leo

I agree with bowguy for a general answer. I like both but the best calls I've used and made are glass. Glass just sounds great and plays easy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

compton30

To my ear, crystal is higher pitched and a shade bit raspier than glass. There's a lot of factors in play outside of Crystal vs Glass though. Pot wood, striker, callmaker who built the pot, etc. I prefer crystal.

Chris O

To me it seems crystal plays a minute amount easier. I also think it gets louder than glass it may just be me, but I think it does and most of the time I prefer crystal

outdoors

Quote from: compton30 on February 01, 2018, 01:54:39 AM
To my ear, crystal is higher pitched and a shade bit raspier than glass. There's a lot of factors in play outside of Crystal vs Glass though. Pot wood, striker, callmaker who built the pot, etc. I prefer crystal.

I have a walnut crystal/slate that's kick butt , loud and soft ........
I like too recive mine UN-condition too myEars can be over condition
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

pauld

They are pretty close. From a builder standpoint, glass is more consistent than crystal is. Something about the material itself the last couple years. Glass will have more middle to the note and crystal will have more on the top (higher pitched at the start of the yelp). Both run well but I do prefer glass because it does produce the sound I prefer and is more consistent.

Thanks,

Paul B. Durham

BottomLand54

I am glad someone asked this I do not have a crystal but do have 3 glass calls made of different woods and soundboards and each has there own sound.

Who makes the best glass pot?
Who makes the best crystal pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pauld

Who makes the best is a completely subjective question. :)

chuckward

For crystal Halloran or Schaffer. Glass there's a bunch. Lonzo's, Brad roberts, blackstone, Mac, halloran. Those are some that you can get fairly quickly.

870BkWht

To my ear, and everyones are different, I think crystal is more barkier and raspy.  I think crystal is a touch more realisitic.  Glass is a touch cleaner, little less rasp, but a little sharper in sound.

Hanks, Daybreak, and Halloran get the nod for a glass in my book.

Halloran, Lon Trice, Kaiser, and S.S. Calls all make fabulous crystal pot calls.

mtns2hunt

I have a Halloran crystal Mistress and a Butski Walnut glass. Crystal I use on windy days as it seems to me to be higher pitched and carries well. Quite mornings I use a Butski glass I got off e-bay. The glass call is user friendly and plays much easier than the crystal. Both calls never leave my side during season. I use slate to change things up on occasion.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

LaLongbeard

I prefer the crystal I've got the mistress by Halloran and it can really reach out for locating.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Triple B

Quote from: pauld on February 02, 2018, 12:42:45 PM
Who makes the best is a completely subjective question. :)
A very good and true answer Paul.....

johnski

Here is another question to muddy the waters what is the difference between glass and bronzed glass?