OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Going to visit Mr. Billy Buice

Started by Grey Owl, January 23, 2018, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

If everything works out I'm making another trip to visit some of America's finest call makers. My first stop, Lord willing, will be with Mr. Billy Buice tomorrow evening.

How many of you have a Buice call? What's your favorite?

callmakerman

That's a trip I would love to make. I own a few of his Turpin boxes and trumpets. Need to call him to get a new trumpet.

worth612000

Favorite / They all sound great. The eye candy appeal is the hardest unless you can afford all of them. You will be within 5 miles of Lonnie Mabry's place

davisd9

Ask him what he recommends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkz39

There is one of his early Turpin box calls on eBay right now.

nitro

Enjoy your visit with Mr. Billy! He is a national treasure as far as I am concerned.

Get a Box or Trumpet call you can't live without, but make sure to get a scratch box for the road. Billy makes good ones.

I hope you have a fine evening with our longest active callmaker.
Royal Slam 2008

KentuckyHeadhunter

Man I wish I could meet you there but the wife has a special dinner planned.  And I'm not allowed to know what it is....sheesh.  I'm only 20 minutes away.  You should also go over to Lonnie Mabry's shop only a few miles away.  I need to go see Mr Billy soon myself.  Have a great time and be safe.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Grey Owl

I don't have a Trumpet of any kind so that's what's on my mind.

ccleroy

He'll tell you to get a Osage push in for your first, it's what he recommends to all newcomers.....it's time for me to get my yearly Buice!!!

Grey Owl

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on January 23, 2018, 04:56:27 PM
Man I wish I could meet you there but the wife has a special dinner planned.  And I'm not allowed to know what it is....sheesh.  I'm only 20 minutes away.  You should also go over to Lonnie Mabry's shop only a few miles away.  I need to go see Mr Billy soon myself.  Have a great time and be safe.

It'd be nice to meet you but I understand.

gergg

Quote from: ccleroy on January 23, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
He'll tell you to get a Osage push in for your first, it's what he recommends to all newcomers.....it's time for me to get my yearly Buice!!!

That is exactly what he suggested to me too. of course I think I know better and bought the Koa....lol....but it is awesome too. I spoke to Billy last night, we both chatted about different wood species and their tonal characteristics, fun conversation. I know a little about wood and I can tell you that Billy knows a lot, he is a fine craftsman and a great guy to boot. I am visiting his shop this week as well, look forward to it.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

mgm1955

Grey Owl

Y'all we're correct. He recommended an Osage push in so that's what I bought. I'd never played a trumpet and was able to have it going in the first few puffs.

Here's Mr. Buice signing my hat. Had an absolute ball running his calls.

ccleroy

Such a great call maker and great man in general!!!

Chris O

That would be an awesome trip congrats. I ordered an Osage as well. I am pretty partial to Osage and walnut from strikers to pot calls and boxes It always seems to work great.