OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for NE Merriams  (Read 3458 times)

Offline ByroB

Looking for NE Merriams
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »
I am located in eastern Iowa right on the Mississippi River. I am looking for a Nebraska Merriams hunt. Willing to offer hunt here in a Iowa for Easterns, waterfowl or possibly deer.

Offline jims

Re: Looking for NE Merriams
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
I've spent time in a number of areas in Nebraska.  If you want pure merriams you may want to concentrate your efforts in the NW corner of Nebraska.  I've shot pure white tail-feathered toms in the same flock as toms with buff/tanned colored toms elsewhere in the state.  There are a lot of rio-crosses in the remainder of Nebraska.  I hunt here in Colo and it's the same thing from the front range eastward to KS.  Some white a some buff/tan toms in the eastern plains and river bottoms.  I've shot pure with merriams in the foothills and mtns for several years but harvested a cream tail-feathered tom in the mtns this year where they are supposed to be pure merriams.  I guess a lot depends upon whether it matters to you whether you want a pure strain of merriams?