turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MS quota hunts?

Started by buzzardroost, December 15, 2017, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

Anyone ever apply? I found one reference to not allowing non-residents to apply for some deer hunts. Called MS and they Wildlife guy on the phone assured me nonresidents can apply as long as they buy a WMA stamp. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

Anybody know? Not looking for you to name a WMA, just can a NR apply?

3bailey3

I am not sure about a quota hunt but the draw hunts at the beginning of the year yes non residents can apply, I have saw tags from AR. MO. And one from NY.

buzzardroost

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 16, 2017, 05:31:06 PM
I am not sure about a quota hunt but the draw hunts at the beginning of the year yes non residents can apply, I have saw tags from AR. MO. And one from NY.
Yeah draw hunts is what I mean. Quota is TN terminology I guess lol

3bailey3

I thought the draws were a good idea at first to limit the pressure the the first two weeks but the last one I was drawn for I couldn't even find a place to park!

silvestris

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 16, 2017, 06:46:47 PM
I thought the draws were a good idea at first to limit the pressure the the first two weeks but the last one I was drawn for I couldn't even find a place to park!

If anyone would know, it would be Bailey.  I am NR, but I have been unsuccessful in drawing a permit so far.  And every year several applicants draw permits for two or three different hunts on the same days.  It is a result of too many falling victim to the urge to introduce new people to the sport and then wondering where all the competition came from.   How is life treating you, Bailey?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

drenalinld

Have drawn quota WMA hunts in MS probably 4 out of last seven years. Get 1st or second choice when I apply. Put in early! It is tough hunting no doubt. Didn't find pressure too great on the quota hunts. I am NR from AR. Most locals are not real friendly to NR's btw.

3bailey3

All is well Sil, how are you my friend? I haven't applied in about 4 years now, I have some better private land that I can now  hunt but I sure use to like it, the one I like the most I have killed on the first day of the season and the last day of the season, with that hunt being one of the most rewarding hunts I have ever had!

Spurs

I have hunted several times in MS on both Limited Permit areas and Open hunting areas.  I have not actually killed a bird on a Limited Permit area, but I do like the extra available area to hunt.  To say whether it is worth it or not is a tough question.  I say it depends on your hunting style.  I run and gun (I mean this more literally than most people say).  I cover vast areas much quicker than most "run and gun" people.  I need as much room as possible, so the permit works great for me.  If you are a slower hunter, I would recommend leaving Permits alone.

Also, Mississippi public land is extremely tough...like hardest in the country IMO.  I have actually found more birds on areas that are Open hunting than Limited permit.
This year is going to suck!!!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: drenalinld on December 17, 2017, 11:09:00 AM
Have drawn quota WMA hunts in MS probably 4 out of last seven years. Get 1st or second choice when I apply. Put in early! It is tough hunting no doubt. Didn't find pressure too great on the quota hunts. I am NR from AR. Most locals are not real friendly to NR's btw.

not all of us Mississippians are unfriendly to NR's
the ones that come down here acting like they own the land and everything else just because they got drawn kinda ruffles my feathers from time to time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

drenalinld

You are correct. I have been treated well by a few. Should have stated that. But always leave with the feeling I am unwanted. As you said it goes both ways.

Jbird22

Quote from: drenalinld on December 19, 2017, 07:30:33 AM
You are correct. I have been treated well by a few. Should have stated that. But always leave with the feeling I am unwanted. As you said it goes both ways.

It's not that you're necessarily unwanted, it's just a tough pill to swallow for a MS resident to not get drawn for the  public land we pay taxes/buy licenses to fund. I apply for 1 particular WMA each year and have only been drawn twice out of 5 or 6 times I've applied. Like Silvestris said, some guys will brag about getting drawn for 7 out of 7 (some on the same dates) knowing good and well they "might" attend 1 or 2 at the most. It is an extremely flawed system and hasn't seem to improve much since its inception.

drenalinld

My honest impression is first application gets choice. Usually apply as soon as opens and get 1st choice. Applied a few days later and do not get 1st choice. Could be coincidence. And I could understand your position.

drenalinld

My honest impression is first application gets choice. Usually apply as soon as opens and get 1st choice. Applied a few days later and do not get 1st choice. Could be coincidence. And I could understand your position.

drenalinld