OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Canned Venison

Started by Spring Creek Calls, December 05, 2017, 04:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Canned up 2 quarts and 5 pints of sweet pickled venison heart and jalapeƱos. Should be ready for the holiday family gatherings. I love this stuff!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

guesswho

I remember my Maw Maw canning venison.  I think they called it cold pack.  Haven't had any in years. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

That looks good with the jalapeƱos, haven't tried that one yet.
we usually pressure can 1 deer a year, it's handy to have on hand.

had a fried deer heart sandwich for lunch today, good stuff

Yoder409

We'll generally can a deer each year.

Mighty fine snappin'.............. !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Farmboy27

Haven't had canned deer meat since my grandma passed some 30 years ago. I still miss her, and her recipes!

marshboy

Would anyone be willing to share the procedure for canning venison?
It sure is tender done that way.
Greg

Greg Massey

Yes can you share how you do this ...........

crow

the method we use is with a pressure canner, the wide mouth quart Mason jars allow you to use bigger pieces of meat which saves time,

ours is a Presto brand which came with detailed easy to follow directions, ---pack the jars tight with raw meat about 3/4" from the top, we use about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per quart, don't put in any liquid if using the raw meat method, keep mouth of jar clean when putting in the meat, follow your units directions for how much pressure and how long to cook.

when done the jar will be full of broth, this is juice that cooked out of the meat, the meat will be a little dry if not broken into smaller pieces and allowed to soak back in after being cooked/canned

it's fully cooked when canned and doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. Very tender and can be eaten like a pot roast, shredded and used for chili, burritos or BBQ.

dwcim

I use the same method as Del except I use a teaspoon of salt for a pint jar and a tablespoon of salt for a quart jar.  Put the jars in the pressure cooker and set on medium heat.  Set the pressure cooker for 10psi or a weight equivalent to 10lbs.  When the pressure cookers starts to rock the top cook for 1 1/2 hrs.  Let the cooker cool off and remove the lid. Remove the jars with the appropriate tool and place on a towel.  They will be hot! As they cool, they will began to seal and start popping creating a small indention in the lid.  Once this happens, shelf life is good for years and as Del said, ready to eat out of the jars.

Happy

My wife always cold packs a few jars every year but it's not my favorite. It's hard to beat deer steaks or heart rolled in flour and fried with butter, salt and pepper. Though my wife does make a mean tenderloin that is spiral cut, rolled up with presudo and Provalone cheese and topped with a sun dried tomatoes and white wine sauce. Darn it now i'm hungry....

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Happy on December 06, 2017, 08:44:51 PM
My wife always cold packs a few jars every year but it's not my favorite. It's hard to beat deer steaks or heart rolled in flour and fried with butter, salt and pepper. Though my wife does make a mean tenderloin that is spiral cut, rolled up with presudo and Provalone cheese and topped with a sun dried tomatoes and white wine sauce. Darn it now i'm hungry....

that last one sounds fantastic!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

870BkWht

Quote from: dwcim on December 06, 2017, 12:55:28 AM
I use the same method as Del except I use a teaspoon of salt for a pint jar and a tablespoon of salt for a quart jar.  Put the jars in the pressure cooker and set on medium heat.  Set the pressure cooker for 10psi or a weight equivalent to 10lbs.  When the pressure cookers starts to rock the top cook for 1 1/2 hrs.  Let the cooker cool off and remove the lid. Remove the jars with the appropriate tool and place on a towel.  They will be hot! As they cool, they will began to seal and start popping creating a small indention in the lid.  Once this happens, shelf life is good for years and as Del said, ready to eat out of the jars.

I canned 16 quart jars this fall using this method.  The only thing I did different was I layered raw onions raw sweet peppers and minced garlic in with the raw meat. 

I use the canned deer meat for BBQ, added to Veg soup, and have even cooked with A-1 and made hoagies out of it. 

The beauty of canning deer meat for me is I dont have to use prime cuts to pack the jars with.  I always save my scraps that dont get used for steaks or jerky.  My dad doesnt grind or can his meat so he always gives me his scraps and I have more to can with.

Yoder409

Had me some canned venison (with gravy) over rice for supper tonight.......

Finer snappin' is mighty hard to come by !!!

We dou ours, simply, with about a teaspoon of salt, a couple cloves of garlic, and a half an onion sliced in the bottom of the quart jar.   Fill it with venison chunks........top off with water and 2 hours boil and.you have the food of kings.    Put it in veggie soup, over rice or noodles, in BBQ sauce........... Sky's the limit.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.