OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube: Turkey Hunting Channels

Started by Cove, November 27, 2017, 05:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

Anyone have any channels to recommend? And I may being a bit picky but . . . .

I'm looking for turkey hunting that doesn't involve a strutting decoy or tent/blinds. Absolutely no bow hunting. Nothing overly advertised. No deer hunter's turned turkey hunter because it's spring time. I spend a lot of time searching and would love to stumble up on something new. I'm beginning to think I've found everything I can stomach.

Disclaimer:
I do not mind if you choose to hunt with strutting decoys or tent/blinds. I am in no way stating there is a right or wrong way of hunting turkeys. I have hunted turkey about every legal way possible during the spring. I also bow hunt deer during the fall. And I have taken a few gobblers with a bow. I just choose not to watch any of it.

Any help is appreciated. 

Drthorn

following....

May not fit what you are asking, and I am sure you already know about it, but i really enjoy Spring Thunder.

gotcha

silvestris

I wouldn't spend must time searching.  Turkey hunting wasn't intended as a spectator sport.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Cove

Quote from: Drthorn on November 27, 2017, 05:21:00 PM
following....

May not fit what you are asking, and I am sure you already know about it, but i really enjoy Spring Thunder.

I agree. Aaron's approach has a certain appeal to it.

Quote from: gotcha on November 27, 2017, 05:41:32 PM
Yours.

My camera crashed out in late February and I went the entire season without it. Normally I have footage to edit this time of year to occupy my time. Not the case. The camera is now repaired.

Quote from: silvestris on November 27, 2017, 09:56:34 PM
I wouldn't spend must time searching.  Turkey hunting wasn't intended as a spectator sport.

That idea I have struggled with because I agree and disagree. I believe it can be done tastefully. If it's attempted, I believe the scenario should be approached as if the camera was not present. Hunt like you're alone- let someone else capture what they can. This is why many of my filming attempts resulted in nothing but a tree filled screen and audio.  :toothy9:

For those interested a couple channels I have found I could watch are-

Neal Pankey, just a guy in IL that self films- something I refuse to do
WEIK00490055, all Washington state merriam hunting- he hunts some pretty turf. The calling is a bit rough.
Chris Walls, WV mountain turkeys
I can get by with watching some of the Primos stuff as long as it's Will or Brad in front of the camera . .. or if Troy Ruiz is involved. Those guys are genuine.

turkey harvester

TCO the call outdoors has some really good video's too. So does Team Radical.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

TauntoHawk

I'd love to hear about some that I haven't checked out before.. first and foremost I can't do it if the calling sounds like a mallard in heat regardless of how good the footage is, blinds and bows don't make for exciting footage to me either if you use decoys for footage and finishers in the timber thats fine with me it does help get the bird where you can roll some film. Ones I have watched and enjoy subscribe too are

TCOthecalloutdoors
Spring Thunder
Calling All Turkeys
Real Outdoor TV
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

quavers59

Times have changed for sure. I would wait all year just to buy the new KNIGHT + HALE Spring Turkey Hunting video along with Primos. Now- Utube has probably over 100 short ones of 5---11 minutes or so.

Chris O

Back in the day when most people rented VCR's I would go to the store and rent Denny Gulvas every spring.It was the only hunting video they had and a big treat for me as a kid

TauntoHawk

not youtube but the Fired Up DVDs are pretty good, I liked the first 2 the best but they are all worth watching
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

EKavanagh

I like the videos put out by Garrett Gaston. Alabama.

Cove

I can't find any of these that aren't sitting behind strutting decoys.  :z-dizzy:

Quote from: TauntoHawk on November 29, 2017, 11:48:19 AM
not youtube but the Fired Up DVDs are pretty good, I liked the first 2 the best but they are all worth watching

Quality of Claycomb's stuff is unmatched. His hen stuff should be studied by every turkey hunter.

Cove

Bolandstrutters

I've literally watched thousands of turkey hunts and nothing beats the material you put out.  Did you not film much this past spring?

Cove

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on November 30, 2017, 12:17:12 PM
I've literally watched thousands of turkey hunts and nothing beats the material you put out.  Did you not film much this past spring?

My camera died in February. I was struggling with whether or not I wanted to lug it around anyway so when the repair bill came back at near $500 it made the decision for me. I have since found a way around the issue (it was a charging problem) so we're back up and running. As of now, I think we're going to try and make the video process a little less bulky for 2018 and hopefully be more apt to have it along, resulting in much more footage.

That's as of now. Check back in when they start gobbling.  :angel9: