Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3rd TN Bird Down. One of coolest hunts ever.

Started by BeardzNSpurz, April 14, 2011, 11:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardzNSpurz

Saw 2 birds strutting tonight about 6:30 with 6 hens and decided to make a move on em. I got inbetween them and where i thought they would roost but it was getting close to dark and they hadn't shown so I stood up to take a look and they were still in the bottom strutted up. The field they were in had about a foot and a half of grass so I belly crawled within 120yds of them and started clucking and purring and they gobbled. Every time I clucked, purred, cutt or yelped they gobbled. There was a little treeline behind them and the hens flew up. I figured game over but the gobblers kept looking my way. Started doing some aggressive clucking and purring and they moved about 20yds closer. I shut up and about 2 mins later they couldn't take it anymore. They started heading my way. I was just laying in the grass belly down with my gun shouldered and when they popped up about 20 steps in front of me I purred and they almost blew my ears off. It was awesome. Picked the bigger bird out and laid it to him. This one will definitely go down in the books as a cool hunt. Not the usual way I kill one but it was awesome just laying there and having them come that close.

He was double bearded. Main beard was 11-1/2'' and the second was 6''. 1-1/16'' Spurs.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

archery1

Take a kid hunting

njdevilsb

Nice bird.  Sounds like an awesome hunt.  Congrats.

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice gobbler. His bird is a real trophy in itself..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Bagg-it Tag-it

:anim_65:
Good job. Sounds like it was an exciting one!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

pullit

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

Basser69

Trevor2

Congrats man, I killed a jake with a 6" beard this way two years ago. what part of tn you hunting
Strutstopper