turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ended my SLUMP

Started by turkeybow, April 14, 2011, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

Sorry it has took me so long!  I have been off all week and doing nothing but turkey hunting and yard work.  Well I have put the yard work off and finally finished it all just a bit ago but I did score on a bird Tuesday evening!

Tuesday am:  Hopped out of the truck and it was real windy and overcast.  Decided that the birds weren't going to talk much so I decided to take the blind with me and set it up.  I always see turkeys in the fields and I don't want to deer hunt them but if their not gonna talk I decided I would.  At daylight I start hearing birds gobble.  One was hammering so good that I hopped out of the blind to chase it.  As I was standing up on the hill top listening and walking I heard a bird take off out of a tree in the field.  That's when I decided that some were close so I need to just go back in the blind.  They came within 40yds of me but wouldn't come in though I didn't care cause I wasn't going to shoot a jake anyways.  Well it finally came lunch time so I headed out.  I sat until 11 only seeing hens and jakes but I'm sure glad I toted the blind as it rained on me good twice.  Once I left I rode by scanning the fields and I ended up seeing 3 gobblers.  I called my girlfriend to let her know to try and get her out there with me but she had to leave for work at 130 so she decided not to go.  She told me to stay or I would regret it but I told her that I wasn't going to tell her that I was going to do something and not to it.  So I went on to eat lunch.

Tuesday pm:  Got settled back in the blind around 230 and I just called every 10 min or so.  Took a book with me to keep me occupied.  Haven't read it all but it's a pretty interesting book!  It's the Michael Waddell book Hunting Booger Bottom.  Around 5 I thought I heard a faint gobble.  I wasn't real sure and then 5min later I thought I heard it again.  I began calling and checking all of my windows.  Finally out my side window I spot a strutter standing there 60yds away on the other hill across from me in the pasture.  He could see my decoys so I yelped at him a few times and he hammered back.  I got aggressive and got the same response.  He would strut......I'd call..........he'd look.............then gobble.............and strut more!  I didn't think he was going to come as he was just working a parallel line with me.  He walked that hill top until it tapered off into the bottom that was between us.  He made it to the first tree between us and turned a bit.  I then was convinced he was making his way surely but slowly so I started thinking about my shot.  I decided not to shoot through the window as I know some do with a shotgun but I decided to open it enough to stick my gun out of it.

I couldn't see him as he was too far down the hill.  He wouldn't answer me much anymore and then a crow passed.  The crow was followed by a GOBBLE.  I then knew he was close and finally saw his fan pop up and he was making a b-line for the decoys.  I hit the record button on the camera and put it on him.  He crested the hill with a faster pace to my strutter so I just put it on it.  He walked past it and then turned to face it.  He went into full strut and walked up beside it.  He then jumped it and smacked it with his wings.  It broke my stake and knocked the fan out of it.  After that he was somewhat startled and came running towards the blind!  He was now standing at 10yds.  He then walks out of the frame and towards my hen.  I started cutting real hard to see if I could get him to pull his head up or gobble as he was in half strut and I've always wanted one to gobble right in front of me.  At this point I wasn't going to worry about the film.  I eased my gun out and shouldered it.  Clicked the safety off and put my head down on the barrel.  CLICK  :o  MISFIRE!!  I started thinking........did I load my gun?.........I ALWAYS do before I leave the truck............did the shell misfire??.............I just knew I had to get another shell in to get a chance at him.  I was so nervous but I began easing the action back S L O W L Y shell popped out and another one was ready to be loaded.  Bird didn't even react.  I then started easing the action forward until I couldn't push it further anymore.  GOT IT!!  At this point the bird had made his way back into the frame and near my strutter again.  He was slowly walking away and I eased my gun back out.  Got down on the barrel again and BAM!!!!!!  He fell face first into the pasture.  I didn't even bother going out the door of the blind.  I just opened the front window and trotted out to him.  Man was I shocked when I saw the rope!  I was then a little to anxious to see the hooks and got beat a few times but I didn't care as I had my foot on his HEAD   :you_rock:  After he was out the celebrating began!  As you can tell I take a lot of pictures.  I'm thankful for every bird I'm fortunate enough to take and I take all of the pictures I can.  To hard to choose just one to show  :TooFunny:

24lbs 6oz
12in beard
1in spurs

Bird DOWN

Breaking in the new tote!  (not sure who made it as my girlfriend got it for me off of here....he was on here before the crash......anyone know who's work this is??)

12 in beard

Had to put in another one, he had a PAINTBRUSH

24lbs 6oz

One end to a great evening!!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Hognutz

Congrats on the monster bird. He is a true Pigasaraus Rex Maximus. Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

new2turkey

Congrats on a great bird  :icon_thumright:

JVA54

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

PANYHunter

Congrats.  Love them paintbrushes!!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

HARDCORE

Congrats Tim, glad your "SLUMP" has ended.  :you_rock: :you_rock:

HC

TRKYHTR

Great turkeys congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

cannonball

bowhunter84

great story and congrats :icon_thumright:

OLE RASPY

Shoregobbler

You got a real good one there. Congrats!!!!!

KYFrid

Conrats Man way to end the slump! Now hopefully I will be able to end my slump in 11 days!  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkeybow

Thanks everyone!!

MMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, he sure is tasting good!

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold