turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unicoi 2018

Started by M Sharpe, August 11, 2017, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M Sharpe

If you had a choice of what the roundtable discussion would be at Unicoi next year, what would it be about???
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

slicksbeagles1

Mark how about a class on using  1 specific type call. Like a crow call, a box call, a pot call, a Wingbone etc Just 1 type call.

M Sharpe

In the past, we've had several different seminars on such as this through out the day. We plan to have those again next year. This one is for the night time discussion. And, what I'm really asking for this is which call would most like featured in this discussion. I've had some suggestions on facebook that can get heated really fast. Those won't happen here. Mr Larry Proffitt put on an excellent seminar this year and will be doing another one next year. Working on a surprise guest for next year as well.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

nitro

My  :z-twocents: -

Trumpet calls please.  2018 is Billy Buice's 50th year as an active callmaker, it seems logical to me that since Unicoi is Billy's backyard we honor his contribution to the history of callmaking. ( Mr. Billy is to my knowledge the callmaker with the longest active career.)

Invite Mr. LF Cox, Rev Farmer, Permar, Hornstra, Hegler and any of the other makers who have been building for 20 years minimum. These men can truly offer information on callmaking and the things they have learns after decades of work - which is to my mind, important. They are no "Johnny come lately"

Have a professional videographer film the event for posterity's sake.
Royal Slam 2008

ol bob

We need to honor Mr. Billy in some way he has been to all the Unicoi shows and like me he don't have that many left.

M Sharpe

Andy, great idea; but, not sure if a guy is going to come down for just a round table discussion. All of the afore mentioned names have had the opportunity to do this show. I do agree with the part about Billy. If a guy doesn't want to patrionize the show, I don't feel the need to patrionize him!!! The "Johnny come lateys" matter too! They are tomorrow's call makers. Our main goal is to patrionize those that patrionize us.

mgm1955

IMO a round table with Billy would be fantastic. His knowledge of callmaking and history would be an awesome opportunity.

sixbird

Mr. Proffit was stellar at last UNICOI! I wouldn't mind seeing him back again.
As far as a call, probably one of the most difficult calls to operate is a wingbone/trumpet. That might benefit a number of people and maybe attract some interest in that type of call...
That said, there's plenty to know about box calls and mostly everybody uses them. Maybe that would benefit more folks...

slicksbeagles1

Mark when it gets closer to the show would you post a schedule for all seminars?

greencop01

How about a discussion on the approach and the philosophy about each call maker's view on hunting the Wild Turkey. I think gaining knowledge on this sport of ours from those who have been making calls in such fashion that garners hunters' esteem because their calls stand the test of time. Might be interesting.....

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

M Sharpe

Last year the round table discussion went on for about two hours. The first hour Dalton asked each one of give an account as to how long they'd been building calls, what got them started and etc., Then the next hour was spent answering questions from the floor.

West Augusta

The discussion last year was worth the trip.  Let alone the call sale.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Definitely suction calls.  Ralph Pemar will NOT be attending next year.  Billy should definitely be recognized and there will be plenty of others. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

krm

Mr. Buice as well as, other Trumpet makers and I'd like to hear Larry Profitt again.
Kelvin Morrison

Grey Owl

What ever you discuss I plan to attend, Lord willing. I'm looking forward to it.