turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler shaker

Started by beardcollector, April 14, 2011, 09:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardcollector

With season fast approaching, it opens Monday here in Ohio and I'm taking out a youth saturday, I'm starting to get my vest ready. One thing that never makes it in there is my gobbler shaker. I try to use it one year and had no luck. Some guys say they're a very important call to have. What do you all think? Have you had luck in the past with them? Thanks!

870FaceLift

Personally, I've never really received much of a response from them in Ohio.  My cousins in Tennessee always carry them around.   I know that they can be dangerous on public ground and wouldnt recommend using gobble tubes there.  Good Luck in OH!
Pass it on...

bowhunter84

i've used mine a few times. sometimes i can get them to gobble at it when they wont gobble to anything else

Trevor2

I have had hit and miss sucres here in tn.
Strutstopper

fallhnt

I use mine spring and fall on public and private land.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

stinkpickle

I actually used one this morning.  I don't know how much it contributed to pulling in some hens, but they came in dragging a tom with them.   ;)

jtg88

Personally I've never had much success with it.  As a matter of fact, I tried it on a bird that was hung up at what sounded like about 100 yards out last week.  Before the tube he was gobbling at anything and everything.  After I gobbled at him I didn't hear a peep for the next 10-15 minutes then when he started gobbling again he was 250+ yards away and headed the other way as hard as he could go.

LilFridWV

I've had a few jealous gobblers come in to it. You can mimic a jake with calling with a diaphram to make it seem like a jake has got one of the gobbler's girls. I always think that if nothing is happening in the woods, the gobbler shaker can make something happen.

turkeytromp

The key to using a gobble tube when and while hunting is to always sound like a smaller tom or jake than what you are hearing, if the tom gobbles do not out gobble him or sound bigger or he will most likely bug out on you.

I have great luck using them here in southern ohio, I use them to locate gobblers mainly before season starts. I had em all fired up this morning and will continue to do so here and there until season starts monday morning. I just purchased the new quaker boy thunderbird gobble tube because it is little and very loud and with practice you can duplicate any gobbler vocals to the tee with it.I have had several and this is by far the best sounding tube I have owned yet.
And yes listen to 870facelift, be very careful using them on pressure hunted areas or public land because in a flash "YOU CAN BECOME THE HUNTED"!

surehuntsalot

they are a hit and miss type of thing,but I always have one in my bag of tricks
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bigcut10

I was always very unsure about my gobble shaker. I would debate wheather to use it or not. But 2 days ago I had a bird hung up with hens and he would gobble at everything i gave him but spin in circles not leaving his girls. Until i hit the gobble shaker, 2 minutes later he was on a dead sprint which ended at 25 yards with the barking of my Benelli!!!!!!! I would not have got him without it

Bagg-it Tag-it

They "can" work. Use it if nothing else works on a hung up bird. Be careful (it goes without saying) that no one else is around you. My best success has been late in the season when toms are still out searching but the hens are less receptive--in conjunction with a full body gobbler decoy.

Struttin Spurs

I am scared to death to use mine. You never know what kind of crazies my be trespassing, even on private land. Every year you hear of people get shot up by someone who thinks they are a turykey. I guess I'm just paranoid. One of these days I may get brave enough to try it out though.