OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate Call Suggestions

Started by davisd9, June 21, 2017, 01:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

I have decided I wanted to purchase another slate call.  Do not want one that is over glass, crystal, or a metallic soundboard.  I want one that has that old school mellow sound, like a wood or slate soundboard.  The high pitch slate is a good sounding call but it is just not the sound I am looking for.  I am thinking of trying to find a Roger Parks Gobbler call, most likely will either way, after a recommendation from someone I greatly respect in the turkey woods, but was wondering what others may suggest.  I have an old Southland Slate that I love but have retired, though I may have to pull it out of retirement if I cannot find what I am looking for new.  My Fowler Alaskan Yellow Cedar would just sound deadly on a mellow, old school slate.  Thanks! 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BABS9

Lonnie Mabry Walnut Slate/Wood

Wvgobbler

Lonnie Mabry or Lonnie Sneed. Either one should fit the sound your looking for.

davisd9

I was considering Mr. Mabry as I have wanted one of his call regardless and I think it is what I am looking for.  A friend and I were considering a trip in the Canton area anyway so I may have to swing by if we go that way. I have had a Hot Hen and it is a fine call.  I traded it to a friend that really wanted it. 

Thanks for the suggestions.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KentuckyHeadhunter

Where do you live?  Or, if you don't want to answer that, how far are you from Canton GA?
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

bobk

Also look for  a Rohm Brothers  Gobbler Slate. Very very mellow.    Mike Yingling makes a cherry slate that would also meet your needs.

birdhunterdave

Lonnie Mabry cedar slate with a cherry soundboard is what you're looking for, imo.

hunter22

Donald----- I have a Mike Battey Wildtalker slate over wood that plays really soft and mellow. It is in a walnut pot.

davisd9

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 21, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
Where do you live?  Or, if you don't want to answer that, how far are you from Canton GA?

Catawba, SC, about 270 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 21, 2017, 03:35:46 PM
Quote from: birdhunterdave on June 21, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
Lonnie Mabry cedar slate with a cherry soundboard is what you're looking for, imo.
X2, my Mabry cedar slate is the BEST sounding slate I have ever heard

Sounds like the Mabry I will look into.

Keep em coming!

davisd9

Quote from: hunter22 on June 21, 2017, 04:02:46 PM
Donald----- I have a Mike Battey Wildtalker slate over wood that plays really soft and mellow. It is in a walnut pot.

Mr. Rickey I will certainly look into this one! Thanks!

PALongspur

Roger Parks gobbler call.

Awesome call that will do any sound that any turkey makes, and do it exceptionally.

Haymarket

For that sound, I would call Lonnie Sneed and order a hot hen.

sbbow

I have a cedar pot that is slate/slate

Matt k