OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

locate a bird

Started by gob09, February 10, 2011, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclerick

Yeah I went out and baught me one of those peleted woodpecker calls and have yet to locate anything but peleted woodpeckers with it.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on February 12, 2011, 07:56:04 AM
Yeah I went out and baught me one of those peleted woodpecker calls and have yet to locate anything but peleted woodpeckers with it.

If it is similar to the one I got, you can use it as a peacock call also. You can also do yote howl fairly good with it also. :icon_thumright:

unclerick

Quote from: harvester on February 12, 2011, 08:12:29 AM

If it is similar to the one I got, you can use it as a peacock call also. You can also do yote howl fairly good with it also. :icon_thumright:
Dustin the one I have can be used that way as well. It sure is loud, everytime I use Wes gives me that look,,, :-[
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on February 12, 2011, 11:36:49 AM
Quote from: harvester on February 12, 2011, 08:12:29 AM

Dustin the one I have can be used that way as well. It sure is loud, everytime I use Wes gives me that look,,, :-[
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

keyser12ga

I have not had luck with locator calls at all.  The first time I walked in the turkey woods, I thought there must have been 10 other hunters that beat me there from all the owl hoots I heard, but they were the real deal.  Didn't hear any gobbling when they were going to town, but I knew I had seen turkeys there.  The only gobbler I heard all last year was 20 yards off of state land and he wouldn't cross that creek.

I roosted a flock this past fall and they made no peeps other than the fly up.

harvester

Most of the time I have better success with the owl calls are later in the season. Early on I just listen, if i don't hear anything then i will start tryin to a response from callin.