turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally

Started by Mailman, April 13, 2011, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman

Want to Start out thanking a few people.
First the good Lord for giving me my health and the ability to hunt.
2nd My father for getting me involved in the outdoors. (he never turkey hunted)
3rd my wife for putting up with me
4th DSD decoys, Hooks calls (seducer today) Bennelli, Burris(ff2),  and Gold Hunter and all other OG members for their inputs.
  I woke up early this morning. Was all set up in the woods by 5:10 am. Didn't know for sure if I was set up in the right place. Started getting light at 6:06 this morning (legal shooting hour). I had gobbles all around. Most of them were not close. A couple were. One across the field and one behind me. But they only gobbled once or twice. They were gobbling but I hardly ever heard a hen. So I let off a few yelps to let them know where I was. I did this about every 5 min. After I figured they flew down I got out my JS Custom call (ones I make) slate pot call in walnut with a poplar striker. I purred and then clucked. I got a gobble I did it again and this time an old raspy hen let me have it. She was loud. I let her have it back with my hooks mouth call. We went back and forth about 6 times. I didn't want to call to much so I shut up. 10 min. later back to the old purr routine. That old hen sassed me back. (maybe a little close) I hit the Hooks call again. I was loud and sharp almost as loud as I could call. She slammed back at me along with a gobble. I went quiet again. waited for 5 min. called softly with the Hooks call. This was followed with a gobble. Softly again. This time answered by the old hen. We got into an arguing match. Now they are close. Gun up I see them to my right about 75 yrds off. Called to them. There were about 7 birds total. Finally a hen saw my decoys. They were only about 15 yrds from me. (decoys) She came alone. (damn) When she got to the decoys she raised her head and was looking right at me in my Gillie suit. Come on tom get here! he finally started walking my way to see what the hen was up to. He was 20 yrds from me when he stopped and stuck his head up to see what the hen was looking at. My gun wasn't on him for fear the hen would spook. He stuck his head way up. I thought now or never. slowly moved the SBE2 over, the hen didn't move . And neither did he until my handloaded H8ATER 3" 2 oz load of # 8's caught him in the head. No floppin. This all took over an hour to unfold.  For all who said my pattern was to tight I guess it wasn't. He weighed 26 lbs. 1 3/8 spurs 10 1/2 " beard. He is now at the taxidermist getting a makeover in full strut.(thanks to my loving wife who said OK)

One Shot One Kill

Basser69

Nice bird and nice read! Thanks for sharing!  :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

turkey slayer

Nice Bird!! congrats!

sugarray

Congratulations!!  Great bird.  That 2 oz of #8 is truly a devastating load on turkey heads.

VAHUNTER

way to go  :icon_thumright: Congrats
Good things come to those who wait

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Hognutz

Way to go, Mailman. That is a big dang turkey. Well done. Was that 3rd. My wife, or my 3rd wife?  :TooFunny:
Congrats on the bird and he will look nice in your rec room..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bayou gobbler

Mailman

Quote from: Hognutz on April 13, 2011, 04:08:14 PM
Way to go, Mailman. That is a big dang turkey. Well done. Was that 3rd. My wife, or my 3rd wife?  :TooFunny:
Congrats on the bird and he will look nice in your rec room..Mike :you_rock:
Well ur close. She is the 2nd one and last
One Shot One Kill

CSAW

JVA54

:icon_thumright:    Congrats!!

Bagg-it Tag-it

Great story! Congratulations. Quick question...for you who wear ghillie suits...do you wear your turkey vest at the same time? Under it or over it?

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!