OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The fat lady is about to sing  (Read 3556 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
The fat lady is about to sing
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
We are now into June which means that the 2017 spring turkey seasons have drawn to a close and along with that the OG Turkey Hunting Team Contest. Barring several new world record birds being registered at the last second, it appears that our little 20 gauge franchise did VERY WELL this year finishing in 4th place with an outstanding score of 554.727. We had a full stringer of 9 scoring feathered bad boys. Congratulation go out to all of our team mates on their birds this year. You have shown that your hunting skills are up to the eyeball to eyeball challenge of the wariest and wiliest wild animal in North America.

Every year I am humbled by the opportunity to be the Captain of this magnificent band of deadly brothers who head out into the grey morning woods with hunting skills honed as sharp as knives to match wits with Him. The camaraderie and spirit of the team this year was genuine and unlike any in the past. Everyone took great joy in the accomplishments of your team mates and shared their pain in the problems. This is what makes a team a success. You did your best, played fairly, hunted safely and had fun doing it all and gentlemen it really showed.

Congratulations to the 2017 Roaring 20's Turkey Team!

On a side note. I had to sit on the bench this year due to atherosclerosis, a blockage of the artery that supplies blood to the heart. I have been in heart rehabilitation for 3 months and will be meeting with the surgeon soon for final evaluation and to schedule surgery, hopefully the placement of a stent. As you can imagine, it was not easy to have to miss an entire turkey season! Life gets in the way sometimes. Next year I should be fit and able to silently run through these swamps again after our favorite feathered nemesis with that deadly 20 gauge slung over my shoulder.

Cheers!  ;D

Norman  aka FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: The fat lady is about to sing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
 Been fun as always!! Thanks for being our captain yet again!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »
I had fun also this year, thanks for the invite to join Norman. Glad to see you are doing well and don't forget I live right down the road if you need anything!

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
I really enjoyed being part of the team this year, thanks y'all for having me and hope to be able to contribute again next year.

Wish you well on the procedure and recovery Norman and look forward to reading about your adventures to come next season! Thank you for leading us to a great finish in the contest.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
I've been doing this contest several years and this is the best team I've had the honor of being on. Congratulations to all and special thanks to Norman for keeping things running as our captain. Some folks would have been so down about their health situation that they would have faded away, but he just go more involved on the team board and kept everyone involved right to the end. Hope to be back with this group next year. Have a great summer gang.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I enjoyed it   Hate I couldn't be on here and post as much about my horrific season but my work just about did me in this year and it hasn't slacked up at all. 12-15hr days are getting old.   I'll post some stories from my year when I get time. The end of the year for me was great and I'm really looking forward to next year we'll other than I know I'll be working a ton since I'll be in an outage but I'm gonna make the best out of what time I will have.