OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of y'all....

Started by compton30, June 02, 2017, 01:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

Think a fella needs a slate pot? I don't have a slate call that I'd even bother taking to the woods, and I might be just falling victim to lurking the classifieds on a daily basis.

So my question is, How many of pack a slate pot on your person when you enter the woods? The sensitivity to moisture is mainly what has me spooked since I never hunt in a blind.

Really interested to hear the opinions of as many folks as possible because the majority of y'all are much more experienced than I!

1iagobblergetter

I always have a slate call in my vest. One of my favorite surfaces. I have a carbon striker I use when it's raining,but rarely ever have to use it.

Chris O

I always carry one also and it plays wet with carbon or synthetic strikers. I hear a lot of guys talk about the humidity affecting them. I have never noticed it in Iowa affecting them.Would a carbon striker make a slate call work in Alabama with high humidity?

callmakerman

I have never hunted without a slate in my vest and some times have two.

Longbeardfever4ever

Humidity is really bad here too. I keep one in my vest for fighting purrs!
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Forked lighting

Always carry one like the soft calling you get with them

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Happy

Very rarely. I mainly carry a glass and a crystal but in all honesty I feel completely comfortable with just a diaphragm call. My second choice is a wingbone or trumpet. A good pot call in any surface can cover all aspects from soft calling to really getting out there so I see no need for a slate.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Wvgobbler

I always carry a slate or two with me also. Humidity doesn't effect me where I hunt though. I've called a pile of gobblers in with a slate call. To me a good slate call is hard to beat but that's just my opinion.

rodney gillikin

my thing if you don't have it with you, you cant use it ever know from day to day what they will like. I like everything all calls has a place in the woods you be surprised how the woods and fog and other thing play in a hunt. pm me and I got some calls
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Spitten and drummen

Always have one , maybe 2. I own 37 slate pot calls and all of them have thier own sound. I rotate them out throughout the season. That and glass are my favorites.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BABS9

I didn't carry a Slate beginning of this year. Traded for a Halloran Zebrawood got it half way through our season may 15. Next day killed a gobbler with it. Day after that called a buddy a bird in with it. And about a week after that called another buddy in a bird with it. Killed 3 gobblers within a week and half. It has found a permanent spot in my vest. And I'm not normally a Slate guy. Get yourself a Slate.

mossyhorn2

I think a good slate call is hard to beat. Here in Indiana the humidity is  usually high but I have had very little problems. I will keep it in my vest until I'm ready to use it or try to keep it in a sandwich bag. I've never noticed slate being any more finnicky than glass or crystal. A wet pot call regardless of surface never sounds the same when wet in my experience. Don't be scared, buy yourself a good slate call and you will eat more turkey. lol

boatpaddle

Wouldn't think of turkey hunting without a slate call...

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

jordanz7935

I don't leave home without one! IMO, you just cant beat a good slate call, especially for the soft talk,clucks and purrs, to coax em in that last couple of yards. I got a Cody Drop Dead Woodsman Slate before this season and it does very well in high humidity conditions.Birds ate it up. I think ive conditioned it only 2 or 3 times since ive had it, whereas most slates ive owned in the past get hit with scotchbrite as soon as they get pulled out of the best. Tons of great slate calls on the market, but id recommend a slate from David Halloran, Lonnie Sneed, Cody, Woodhaven,Lon Trice, or Jimmy Schaeffer.

Ol Yelper

I have several slates from Lonzo, SS, Halloran, and Matt McLain and always carry one or two. I've actually had more of a problem with the humidity using my glass calls then with the slates.