turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite Lonnie Mabry call?

Started by Grey Owl, June 01, 2017, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

I plan to visit Mr. Mabry soon and was wondering what your favorite Mabry calls are? Pot and Box? Some pics of your calls would be nice.

Happy hooker

my favorite is his purpleheart/cedar boxcall I think he's known for it,,they sing
Also
Ask him to show you some of his boxes in ambrosia maple,,  this isn't usually a wood I'm into but he has a nice source for this and it has beautiful shading and grain.

SwampRooster17

I really like his slate over wood in a walnut pot and his double glass in cherry pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukejb

Currently my only call from him is a Ipe over cedar longbox, and it is a fantastic sounding call. I will be visiting my inlaws in North Georgia this fall and plan to pay Mr. Mabry a visit one day while I'm there.

Grey Owl

I read that his hackberry slate is real nice but he told me today that he used up his last hackberry board.

KentuckyHeadhunter

The hackberry pots he did were great.  Not a fan of his double glass. His bronzed glass and his walnut slates are great.  His PH over Spanish cedar is his best short box to me.  I really like his cane yelpers too.  Lonnie is a fine man and a hard worker.  Lives to talk turkey and the nicest feller you'd ever meet.  And the cleanest and most organized shop I've ever seen. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spring Creek Calls

I'm a fan of Lonnie's short boxes and have several. My favorite is a walnut over mahogany.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Grey Owl

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 01, 2017, 05:48:30 PM
The hackberry pots he did were great.  Not a fan of his double glass. His bronzed glass and his walnut slates are great.  His PH over Spanish cedar is his best short box to me.  I really like his cane yelpers too.  Lonnie is a fine man and a hard worker.  Lives to talk turkey and the nicest feller you'd ever meet.  And the cleanest and most organized shop I've ever seen.

I'd definitely like a bronze glass.

Grey Owl

Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 01, 2017, 05:46:06 PM
Here are my two, the cedar is beautiful!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That cedar is stunning.

Sixes

aluminum hackberry

Do yourself a favor, bring 270 dollars, buy a short and long box and a pot made of bronze, aluminum, glass and slate and then you will have one of everything he makes.

Grey Owl

Unfortunately Mr. Mabry has used all of his hackberry lumber. He told me today that when he cut the hackberry tree that it took 7 years to dry out. It's all gone.

Scott Hock

I have over 40 of Lonnie's calls and each one is unique. Since I've been building calls one thing you learn is that each call has its own unique sound. The call can come out of the same board and sound totally different from the others. I have 3 Purple Heart/Ambrosia Maple and each one has a different sound. There is one out of the group that is by far the best box call I've ever had in my hands. It has the it factor. You get these rare gems every now and then. Birds just respond to it.
Pot calls I have a Mahogany slate that is the same way. You can't go wrong with his walnut slates either. Lonnie just finished up 2 more boxes for me in persimmon. Going to see him Saturday to pick them up. Can't wait to hear them. Hope to get one of those gems again.

Happy hooker

Hock
Does he ever do Alaskan yellow cedar boxes

Beards and Hooks

I have two boxes purple heart/walnut and Spanish cedar/walnut and like both or don't have a preference as of yet. I have three slates, three aluminum, two glass and two bronzed glass as well. I also have a wingbone which indeed to learn to use. I like his slates and bronzed glass the best and really haven't picked out favorite woods just yet (first season with them). I really dig his strikers as well two per pot and only 5 bucks separately when I went. Have a good time when you go!!

scoot12

I have a slate from him that is really good,  didn't care for his bronzed glass call.  My fav is an aluminum from him.  If you get a slate from him,  a wood soundboard is a great choice.  I love slates with wood soundboards.  Very realistic in my opinion.  Scoot