turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting Position

Started by GobbleNut, June 01, 2017, 11:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Thinking about it, this spring, of the seven gobblers I killed, three were taken from the "standard" sitting position, two were taken standing, and two were taken prone.  In each case, the decision on what position to take was based on the individual situation and what I thought would be the most effective position under the circumstances.  All were based on the terrain features and what I thought would give me the maximum effective shooting opportunities and the least chance of being detected/busted if the gobbler came in.

When setting up, what are the factors that you use in determining your position and set-up?

Happy

Where I am and where the turkey is approaching from. Wind direction is critical as well. Don't know how many times I have been busted by one circling downwind. In all seriousness I have shot them from laying prone to standing. Most times I am seated but this year I did shoot one from my knees.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Blong

I shot from knee 1x, prone 1x, standing 1x, standard position 3x. Terrain and structure dictate how I set up.

guesswho

All of mine were standing when I shot them.

I was standing for about a 25% of them.   The rest were from one knee or sitting.   If we are searching for each other I shoot most of them from one knee or standing.   If I'm in what I think is a killing spot I am usually sitting. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

I'm usually sitting, very occasionally crouching, 1-2 prone n 1 standing.
Buddy of mine loves standing, I just think I'd move too much. Prone now that position n me don't see eye to eye on turks. I did use it twice, once actually I wasn't shooting.
I was calling for a youth, it was swampy but open. Bird came hard left n we lied down prone., trying to watch many things n being young at the time I didn't notice him creep his gun between 2 trees that were forked at ground level.
The birds came to our right n now he was in jail. They were 15 yards, right of his tree. I had him finger ease his gun under his armpit.
Birds started to get antsy.
He finally cleared it n they ran, I cutt at em on a mouth call n they stopped. He couldn't see, they ran I cutt again, they stopped again. One less bird left but I'm not a fan of limiting myself simply because of that hunt.

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on June 01, 2017, 01:58:27 PM
All of mine were standing when I shot them.

Personally, I prefer them to be crouched on a limb with their head under one wing,...YaGoob... :toothy12:

Quote from: Bowguy on June 01, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
I was calling for a youth, it was swampy but open. Bird came hard left n we lied down prone., trying to watch many things n being young at the time I didn't notice him creep his gun between 2 trees that were forked at ground level.
The birds came to our right n now he was in jail. They were 15 yards, right of his tree. I had him finger ease his gun under his armpit.
Birds started to get antsy.
He finally cleared it n they ran, I cutt at em on a mouth call n they stopped. He couldn't see, they ran I cutt again, they stopped again. One less bird left but I'm not a fan of limiting myself simply because of that hunt.

Great point, Bowguy.  I don't know how many times in my younger years I was caught not being able to swing my gun because of limbs too close in front of me,....still happens on occasion If I have a hurried set-up.  Prone seems to be the worst position for that to happen because you are "elongated" so much in that position.  If I decide to go prone, I now always check my gun swing to make sure exactly what you are talking about will not happen. 

Of course, any of us can do the same thing in other positions, as well.  The point being that checking your gun swing to make sure you can cover the area you need to if a gobbler shows up is a factor that can be the difference between success and failure in many situations.  It is often the little details like that that make the difference. 

crow

well ever since watching that old movie "Srg. York" I have picked up the habit of wetting my front sight before taking a shot,

this pretty much limits me to laying behind a log in the the prone position because of all the movement

Tail Feathers

Much like Gobblenut, I take whatever the situation calls for.  From prone to standing, left handed or right...whatever is needed.
Most of mine have been from a seated position but I've taken birds from each of the above mentioned firing positions.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

All 3 of mine were from sitting ... but i agree , just whatever...knee or standing also...shoot either left or right handed...

Strutr

I haven't killed a gobbler from a standing position in several decades.  Nearly all have been killed from a sitting position with a handful from a prone position.  My latest change has been to occasionally incorporate a gobbler lounger chair and have found that getting it correctly oriented during setup can be a challenge.  My hunting is usually takes place in wooded settings without a blind, using trees to break up my form in some manner.  I've found that without the chair it's much easier to slightly shift around to improve one's shooting position.  The positive side of the chair is that it makes longer sits so much more comfortable.  Nothing is perfect for every situation.

tha bugman

Depends...obviously you want to be where he wants to be so that's always #1. I make sure when I sit down I do t have anything that would impede my ability to move my barrel in case I have to reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfeathers

All but one bird I've ever killed has been in prone. Last years fall bird was standing . I'd like to be able to shoot left handed but dang it, as soon as I shoulder the gun I close my left eye to look thru the scope. That makes things a little difficult. I've had to scooch a bit around my tree when bird was coming and know I couldn't get a right handed shot off.

stinkpickle

All for the last few years have been from a seated position.  The last non-sitting one was a standing shot, but that was a while ago.

THattaway

Right handed so I point my left knee towards where he is likely to appear. Same for deer. That way I can swing the gun/bow either way to the same degree if I need to adjust quickly.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

dutch@fx4

I have hunted to many years with a stick or rock under my butt.
So I have used a gobbler lounger for years now. I love that chair. I set up so the gun rests on my left knee were I thing the bird will come from.